MUSEUM FOR MODERN AND CONTEMPORARY ART
The Landesgalerie Linz is the museum for modern and contemporary art of the State of Upper Austria. It educates on the latest art tendencies and integrates them into 20 th century art history. The Landesgalerie Linz’s programme is designed to link regional, national and international art production.
The Landesgalerie Linz is also focused on the field of photography and in the past decade has been able to establish itself as an international excellently-networked institution for high-quality photography presentations in Austria. In addition to presenting contemporary art, a primary objective of the Landesgalerie Linz programme is to provide education about 20 th century art history relating to Upper Austria.
The Landesgalerie Linz continuously realises special exhibitions, whereby the programme includes personal exhibitions as well as thematic projects. It acts as a co-organiser of numerous exhibitions both domestic and abroad. These activities result in projects, for example, in cooperation with the Fotohof in Salzburg, with the photographic collection of the SK-Stiftung Kultur in Cologne and most recently the Center for Creative Photography, Tucson in the USA, the Museum Kunstpalast in Dusseldorf and Kunstforum Ostdeutsche Galerie, Regensburg.
The historic building on Museumstrasse 14 is the head office of the Oberösterreichisches Landesmuseum, where the management and administration, library and graphic collection of the Oberösterreichisches Landesmuseum are also currently located, in addition to the Landesgalerie Linz itself.
At the suggestion of its Vice President Adalbert Stifter in 1854, the Oberösterreichischer Kunstverein decided not only to orient exhibitions towards but also purchase artworks for the expansion of its own “Landesgalerie”, in order to thereby make a contribution towards the “Erbauung und Bildung des Bürgertums” [The edification and education of the bourgeoisie] and “Volke allzeit die Anschauung guter, ernster Kunst als bestes Erziehungs- und Veredelungsmittel zu ermöglichen” [enable people at all times to be able to view good, serious art as the best means to be educated and refined]. As the first work in May 1855, it acquired the large format painting “Schiffbruch an der Insel Capraja im Ligurischen Meere” [Shipwreck on the island of Capraia in the Ligurian Sea] by the “extraordinary landscape and marine painter” Hermann Mevius of the at that time highly esteemed Dusseldorf School.
With the opening of the Francisco Carolinum the Landesgalerie also relocated to the new museum building and was thus nearly forty years after its foundation for the first time physically as well as organisationally integrated in the structure of a museum. At the same time the unlimited ownership rights were transferred from the Kunstverein to the State of Upper Austria.
Although the designation of “Landesgalerie” was meant to continue the term gradually changed its original significance through the specific museum context in the Francisco Carolinum. Although the Landesgalerie had to date designated a clearly defined image collection, which had been continuously evolving for a number of years, it increasingly merged with the inventory and the identity of the museum.
It was not until the 1980s that the Landesgalerie with its ongoing exhibition activities on the art since 1900 was newly institutionalised in the Museumstrasse. The Museum Francisco Carolinum thus radically changed in little more than 100 years. The original permanent exhibition of different collections from 1895 was replaced in a decades-long room concept process to realise changing exhibitions. All of the exhibits formerly on display left the Museum Francisco Carolinum.
The Landesgalerie Linz is currently the museum of the State of Upper Austria for 20 th and 21 st century art and has full use of the Francisco Carolinum museum building to host events covering various programmes.
The cultural education of the Landesgalerie Linz is not primarily oriented to the artworks but to its visitors and their respective perceptions.
The tours and information about the artwork in the exhibitions and in the art workshops room are intended to support and expand perceptions and interpretations. Enabling creativity and self-expression is at the heart of our activities.
Cultural education programme for various target groups
INFORMATION AND REGISTRATION
Tues – Fri from 9 am – 1 pm
WALTRAUD DINGES, ARKoordinationsstelle KulturvermittlungT +43 (0)732 7720 522 22 [email protected]
For organisation reasons it is absolutely essential to register two weeks prior to the desired date. Tour intervals: On the hour and half hour.
The exhibition projects in the Landesgalerie Linz are associated with investigative and research work, also frequently in cooperation with other national and foreign institutions. The results are generally released in accompanying book publications.
The following exhibitions are excellent examples of this:
“August Sander. Linzer Jahre 1901-1909” (with the Photographische Sammlung SK Stiftung Kultur, Cologne, 2005/2006),
“Political Sculpture” (with the Ernst Barlach Stiftung Güstrow and the Fritz Wotruba Privatstiftung Vienna, Design: Gerold Tagwerker, Profile “Exhibition of the year 2008”),
“The Fall Forum Design (2009) or
“New Topographics” (Cooperation with the Center for Creative Photography, Tucson, the George Eastman House, Rochester, the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, Los Angeles, the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, San Francisco, der Photographischen Sammlung SK Stiftung Kultur, Cologne, the Nederlands Fotomuseum, Rotterdam and the Museum of Fine Arts, Bilbao, 2010).
The Landesgalerie Linz is disabled accessible as follows:
- Lift at the rear of the building (south side)
- Disabled accessible toilet