The NetMoms editorial team searches for new, exciting topics that inspire and touch your heart every day. It also delivers you all important information around the topics that concern you in everyday life with children.
A bike seat test can help you find the right seat for your child. Find out here, according to which criteria the examiners evaluate each bicycle seat in the test and who carries out the tests.
In this article
What exactly is checked in the bike seat test?
In the bicycle seat test, the individual models have to convince with the following questions:
- Performance: Can you push the bike easily despite the bike seat? Does driving stability change when driving on different surfaces? Does the seat make the braking maneuver difficult? These aspects are checked in the bicycle seat test.
- Suitability for the child: Does the small passenger sit in a comfortable and back-friendly position? Is the height of the seat backrest appropriate for the age and size class specified? Is there a shape for a bicycle helmet? To prevent heat build-up, the bicycle seat test also checks whether the cushions are adequately ventilated.
- Handling: Is the instruction manual understandable? How long does a layperson take to assemble the bicycle seat? Can the child simply be buckled on and off? The bike seat test also checks how easy it is for the rider to get on and off the bike.
- Safety: Can children injure themselves on sharp edges and corners or get their hands caught? Does the belt system offer sufficient protection? Can the seat be securely and stably attached?
- Durability: Have the materials of the seat been processed well? Can the bike seat withstand various weather conditions and temperature differences? Can the seat still be used after an impact??
- pollutants: For the bicycle seat test, the individual models are also examined in the laboratory. Do the manufacturers adhere to the specified limit values for pollutants? Have they used toxic substances that are suspected of allergic reactions or even Diseases trigger?
Note the bike seat test before buying
Would you like to take your child with you wherever you go? Just inform yourself regularly about the current test results of the individual models. In this way you can quickly get an overview of the different bicycle seats and read which are recommended by the independent test centers. You can also inquire directly at the relevant offices to see if current results are available. An employee in a specialist shop can certainly also inform you about the different models.
Who conducts the bike seat test?
- Stiftung Warentest: In the bicycle seat test, Stiftung Warentest evaluates each model in the categories "driving", "handling", "safety", "suitability for the child" and "pollutants". The focus of the test is on the areas of "driving" and "handling". Both account for 25 percent of the overall result. Although the point "safety" only influences the overall judgment to 20 percent, there is the following regulation at Stiftung Warentest: If a bicycle seat is only rated "sufficient" in the area of safety, the end result will not be better than "sufficient" either. There is a similar regulation for the testing of the ingredients. If a seat has passed the pollutant test only with a "sufficient", the overall judgment is devalued by half a grade. In our article "Bicycle seat at Stiftung Warentest" you can find out which models are recommended by Stiftung Warentest.
- Eco test: The independent test center Ökotest operates a bicycle seat test similarly to Stiftung Warentest. In the area of practical suitability, the models must exist in the categories "body", "ergonomics" and "safety". The contents of the seats are examined in the laboratory. In the bicycle seat test, Ökotest checks whether the straps and cushions are free of harmful substances. Find out in our article "Bicycle seat at Ökotest" how the testers rated individual models.
- MOT: The manufacturers also have the option of having their bicycle seats checked by the TÜV. If the seats meet the current safety requirements, they are awarded the GS seal for "tested Security "certified.
What you should pay attention to when buying a bicycle seat, we explain here in the article.
Buy the ideal front bike seat Find and buy the perfect front bike seat for your bike: With the front bike seat you have better ones…
In order to increase the safety of children in the car, the ADAC and the Stiftung Warentest regularly test new child seat models. Test loser in…
Bicycle seat – the child seat for the bicycle, a product whose task could not be more responsible: children safe on the bicycle…
Well-known providers such as Peg Perego and Moon had to meet the strict criteria of the examiners in the Stiftung Warentest’s twin stroller test….