Dry cough in a child: treat at home?
Cough is a fairly common symptom that accompanies a cold in a child. The respiratory organs are damaged by the penetration of the virus into the child’s organism. Therefore, the baby starts tickling in the throat, a feeling of slight irritation, a natural desire for cough. The symptom cannot be ignored so as not to aggravate the problem.
When a child develops a cold, a sputum is formed in the body, which relieves the throat. After some time, when the manifestations of the disease disappear, the expectoration of the expectoration is slowed down, the larynx will dry out, which leads to a dry cough.
What is the risk of a dry cough in a child?
Dry cough is a reaction of the child’s body to the infection that has developed in it. Oddly enough, you should know this, but the cough is considered useful because it helps the patient get rid of harmful substances – microbes, viruses, mucus. However, if breathing is hard, the airways cannot be cleared, the baby cannot cough. In the body of a child with immunity weakened against the background of the disease, all metabolic processes are difficult to go through, especially protection against infectious diseases.
Dry coughing causes the child to recover much more slowly because it is not about removing mucus from the lungs and drying and absorption into the child’s body. There is a risk of dry cough. Therefore, it should start to heal as soon as possible.
What diseases can lead to dry cough?
- acute rotavirus infections;
- whooping cough
- Bronchial asthma;
- Swelling in the respiratory system;
- the presence of a foreign body in the lungs or airways.
Parents need to be careful and immediately show the baby to the doctor if they have a vomiting cough after eating. This is a sign that food waste is getting into the airways. If nothing is done, it reaches the pathways in the respiratory organs or the forks of the bronchi and blocks them. In addition, such a piece is stuck in any area and is not subjected to the chemical cleavage process, causing it to rot.
Dry cough, which occurs in children during sleep, can be a manifestation of sinusitis, bronchial asthma, whooping cough and heart failure, while morning attacks usually indicate a chronic form of bronchitis, an injury to the gastrointestinal tract. The doctor has to deal with the diagnosis.
Signs of dry cough
It is usually easy to detect a dry cough in a baby. Attacks occur several times a day, can be intrusive and can no longer be held. And it resembles a dog that barks differently.
Generally, attacks start unexpectedly, accompanied by convulsions. Sometimes don’t go long.
Such a cough breaks a child’s night sleep, may be accompanied by a fever, but this is not always the case. In some cases, vomiting occurs due to a severe attack.
How to treat dry cough?
If a child develops a dry cough, it is necessary to take him to the pediatrician as soon as possible to prescribe appropriate treatment. In this case, it is not possible to choose the medication yourself, otherwise dangerous consequences can arise. The treatment method should only be chosen by a doctor. The most effective and commonly used treatments are listed below.
Pharmacies sell a lot of dry cough medicine.
- One of the most effective of these is bronholitin syrup. It consists of herbal ingredients so there is no risk of crumbs. The drug starts acting on the third day. For this reason, experts recommend starting use immediately after the first signs of dry cough appear.
- Another effective remedy is paxeladin syrup. It eliminates cramps in a short time, helps to soften the throat. Suitable for treatment and wet cough.
- Biocalyptol. The release form of this antitussive is a syrup that is intended for children and therefore tastes pleasantly sweet.
- If the body temperature of the cough baby is not increased, then when choosing a cough medicine, preference should be given to one that works to reduce cramps, remove expectoration from the lungs, and relieve the throat. These combined medicines include Codelac and Kodterpin. You can use it to treat cough in children older than two years.
In addition to drug therapy, it is recommended to use traditional medicine to speed up the healing process.
The treatment for dry cough that has been tested by a single generation is inhalation. They are considered a very effective procedure in which attacks are reduced and the throat becomes softer. You can use an atomizer for this purpose or just breathe over the steam.
In order to be able to carry out the procedure, you need to carry out a healing decoction with the help of medicinal plants. Sage, chamomile, eucalyptus are well suited for this purpose. You need to take dried grass, pour boiling water and cover with a lid. After the infusion (after about half an hour) pour 500 ml of broth into the pot, add a small amount of boiling water and carry out the process during which the child has to breathe over the steam. In this case, he has to cover his head. The baby needs to be told that it breathes as deeply as possible.
This method of treatment over a long period of time without a dry cough is suitable if the child does not have a fever. However, we should not forget that the procedure can only be carried out after consultation with the doctor, who, after listening to the baby, says whether it can warm up or not.
Dry cough compress is made on the basis of potatoes that need to be crushed, honey and vegetable oil. The ingredients are mixed thoroughly and then applied to the chest. The top should be wrapped with cling film and a warm cloth. Compress should stand for at least four hours. It should not be shot all night. A mustard plaster has a similar warming effect.
Medications can quickly help get rid of cough. However, they are not suitable for some children. This is usually the case when a child has an individual intolerance to certain components. In this case, medicinal herbs come to the rescue, which are sometimes no less effective.
Plants with an expectorant and mucolytic effect are thyme, coltsfoot, licorice. They help remove mucus from the lungs. Infusions and decoctions are made from these herbs. For effective treatment, it is enough to pour boiling water and wait until you insist on a few tablespoons of one of the specified plants. Similarly, a dry cough can be cured in a child. In the course of therapy at home, not only phyto products can be used, but also other means of traditional medicine.
Folk remedies for cough
It is necessary that the means by which the child is treated are completely natural. Then they will not damage the sensitive organism of the children. This requirement is met by proven traditional methods of dry cough therapy.
Nevertheless, before starting such treatment, it is necessary to consult a doctor. In addition, you must first make sure that the baby is not allergic to the product you plan to use.
This instrument naturally occupies a leading position and helps to get rid of the debilitating cough. It is important that only warm milk can be used. The following treatment options are possible:
- Milk with butter 250 ml took a tablespoon of oil. You can use cream or cocoa butter for this purpose. Add honey if desired.
- Milk with honey A small amount of honey is added to warm drinks for babies, nutmeg, cinnamon and other spices for older children. The added baking powder has advantages (¼ tsp), but not all children will like this drink.
- Milk with mineral water Beverages are mixed in equal parts. It should be borne in mind that mineral water must be taken in an alkaline state or soda added, but this can significantly affect the taste of the end product.
- Milk with figs This recipe allows the use of fresh and dried fruit. In the first case, about three pieces per 250 ml of milk are needed, which are boiled for one minute and can be drunk after cooling. In the second, the fruits should be placed in cool milk for 30 minutes so that they soften and only then set for a fire for two minutes.
- Propolis If you have no attacks, you can only use this tool if the baby is over a year old. A few drops of water propolis tincture are added to a third of a glass of milk.
- Ginger root The product is crushed with a grater and poured with one and a half liters of fresh milk. A few tablespoons of green tea are added. Place the composition on the stove and wait for it to boil. Insist half an hour. Breast children cannot be treated with this tool.
- Milk and banana Fresh fruit is ground into puree, milk is added. The delicious and effective cough medicine is ready.
- Needle milk For the preparation of such remedies, pine buds are needed. 50 grams of raw materials must be boiled in 500 ml of milk for 15 minutes. Take small doses – in a couple of showers a day at regular intervals. The daily dosage is one cup of the product.
- Milk with garlic Although such a drink cannot boast its taste, it is one of the best in its effectiveness. Some cloves of garlic need to be peeled and boiled in a liter of milk until they soften. Add oil if desired. It is not recommended for the treatment of cough in very young children.
Eggnog is an effective and harmless means that you can get rid of attacks of dry cough quickly. You need egg yolk, some honey and granulated sugar to cook. Before cooking, make sure the product is fresh. The egg yolk is beaten with sugar until a homogeneous consistency is achieved. Tasty medicine babies should drink up to four times a day with a dessert spoon. The device helps to soften the neck and relieve irritation. The recommended dose is diluted in 100 ml of preheated milk so that the child can drink. If he has no allergic reactions to bee products, you can add honey. Children over three years of age are allowed to add a spoonful of cocoa powder to the drug. This tool improves sleep and speeds up the healing process.
Dry cough massage
With the help of cocoa butter, the cough baby is massaged by rubbing gently in the chest and back area. If the baby is older than two years, you can melt the lard, add a few drops of camphor oil and honey and do a massage with this composition. Usually, improvement of the condition quickly occurs after using such an agent. Massage chest and back, set up cloth napkins and let go for three hours. After this time, the remains of the composition are removed with the help of cotton swabs, the skin is carefully wiped off.
The calming effect on the respiratory system consists of compresses with potatoes, low-fat cottage cheese and a massage of the chest, feet and hands.
Crumbs that cannot suck lollipops dissolve such sugar in boiling water in a ratio of 1:20. The resulting syrup offers baby one tablespoon after a meal. If you want, you can add berry juice or honey to the candy.
The temperature rises with a dry cough
Not in all cases, when the child coughs dry, its temperature rises. Such a cough can only be treated at home until it is resolved. If a similar symptom occurs, you should call a doctor immediately. The high temperature indicates that the process of sucking mucus into the baby’s blood has started, which can affect the internal organs. In such a situation, the doctor will prescribe antibacterial drugs to the baby. When choosing an antibiotic, factors such as possible individual intolerance, age, body weight of a small patient, the reason for the deterioration of the condition are taken into account.
If the baby’s dry cough persists throughout the week and there are no signs of recovery, a doctor should be consulted. Children’s health is the most valuable thing that parents have. You have to take care of it and handle it with all responsibility and care.
How and what to treat dry cough in a child and its causes?
A persistent dry cough in a child is a pathological manifestation that supports the disease process in the upper or lower airways.
In itself, the cough reflex is normal, the main differences are three: the duration of the manifestation, its type and the amount of exudate (expectoration).
To avoid serious health consequences, therapy must begin immediately: a cough must be medically corrected. What should the patient’s parents know about such an uncomfortable symptom??
Causes of dry cough
The causes and factors of the cough reflex are always pathological. For natural reasons, a long reflex does not develop.
It is possible to diagnose a disease, even after a typical clinical picture. However, parents are not recommended to make a diagnosis themselves – the likelihood of being wrong is high.
Before you treat a dry cough in a child, you should understand the main reasons for it to occur.
The symptoms of an illness described help you to make a preliminary diagnosis for your child.
It is an inflammatory process that is localized in the area of the pharynx and soft palate. Mostly develops in people who deal with dry air.
The immediate cause for children is too dry room air and contact with an infectious agent.
The main causer of the disease recognizes two pathogens: Staphylococcus aureus and green streptococci. A dry, persistent cough is typical in children. Strengthens in the evening morning.
Sometimes there is a slight discharge of a transparent color. Accompanying manifestations are: hoarseness or complete lack of voice, sore throat, sore throat, feeling of a foreign body in the pharynx. Possibly runny nose.
In therapeutic practice, it is considered generalized "rubbish" -Diagnosis considered, which includes all diseases caused by viral pathological organisms.
Cough is always dry in the early stages, the frequency is low. Accompanied by hyperthermia at the level of subfebrile fever counts (up to 39 degrees), headache, weakness and weakness.
A private form of acute respiratory viral infection is the body’s influenza infection. Flu is characterized by a dry cough without expectoration or with a small amount of exudate. Nausea, fever above 39 degrees, headache, sore throat, dry nasopharynx are also noted.
The defeat of the larynx. The causes of the development are irritating factors such as tobacco smoke, excessively dusty air, etc. For children, the immediate concern is smoking indoors.
Laryngitis is the most painful condition of the patient because it is long "congested" Cough is accompanied.
The main symptom is a strong one "barking" Cough without expectoration. It occurs in the morning and remains without relief all day.
Antitussives used for treatment are only temporary. In addition to cough, sore throat, aching sensation in the throat.
Inflammation of the tonsils. It does not cause respiratory damage, but it is accompanied by a tingling sensation in the throat as the nasopharynx suffers.
A special case of tonsillitis is a sore throat, which is only susceptible to younger patients.
The disease is characterized by a throat sensation in the throat, the appearance of a large amount of purulent constipation in the tonsils (yellowish lumps with a pungent, foul odor).
Rare cough, worse in the morning time of the day when a large amount of discharge builds up in the nasopharynx.
Infectious lesion of the tracheal mucosa. In contrast to the diseases mentioned above, this poses a significant risk to life and health.
If laryngitis is caused by air that is too dry, tracheitis relies on the action of water vapor and moist air.
Difficult to distinguish between laryngitis and pharyngitis. It is also accompanied by a dry cough, usually at night. In the morning, the viscous discharge into the airways increases.
It is pneumonia. Polyetiological disease of mixed origin. At the center of its development are both infectious and allergic factors.
Causes of development: hypothermia, prolonged contact with dry air, contact with an infectious agent. One of the most serious diseases.
Inhalation pain, inability to fully inhale and exhale, shortness of breath, suffocation are characteristic. Mucus occurs in the advanced stage of the disease.
Illness is life threatening. Read more about the symptoms and early signs of pneumonia in children – read this article.
Inflammation of bronchial tree structures. Formed for the same reasons as pneumonia. In some cases, the infection can be of a descending nature, descending from an immediate focus in the nasopharynx and trachea.
A complex, complex disease that affects both children and adults. It manifests itself mainly in the period of 6 to 12 years. In most cases it is allergic.
The stimulating factors are common colds, hypothermia, interactions with allergens and infectious agents.
Flow paroxysmal. Each attack lasts from a few minutes to several days.
During the attack pain, severe shortness of breath, gagging, coughing without expectoration and then the separation of a large number of transparent exudate.
- Allergic reactions In this case, the cough is long-lasting and is not alleviated by typical cough suppressants.
- Tuberculosis It is found in areas with an increased incidence of morbidity. Accompanied by constant coughing up blood, painful sensations behind the sternum and pathological weight loss.
- Teething: measles, whooping cough, scarlet fever, etc.
- Reflux esophagitis. Causes acid to flow back from the stomach into the airways. Pathognomonic manifestations of dyspepsia with heartburn, nausea, vomiting, etc.
- Neurogenic cough. It is more common in younger patients. Not accompanied by serious side effects. You can establish a clear causal relationship between the beginning of the reflex and the stressful situation or just a stressful situation.
There are many reasons. Understanding the swelling factor is only possible after diagnostic measures.
The diagnosis should only be made under medical supervision.
The problems of this profile are dealt with by the specialists of the ear, nose and throat specialist and the pulmologist.
During the initial examination, the doctor asks questions to the patient’s parents and the patient himself to determine the type of pathology.
Then the instrument and laboratory diagnostics are carried out with:
- Chest x-ray
- General blood test
- blood Biochemistry.
- Bronchoscopy (if necessary and strictly according to the indication).
- allergy tests.
- Sputum analysis
In the complex of these methods, it is sufficient to make and check the diagnosis.
Treatment of dry cough in children
For a speedy recovery, therapy should include complicated methods, since dry cough in children must be treated effectively with cough medicine, inhalations, physiotherapy and herbal medicine.
Effective antitussives from several groups are used for this purpose:
- Cough reflex blocker at a general level: For the elimination of cough at a general level. Inhibit the cough center of the brain.
- Local receptor blockers. Appointment to relieve dry cough. The main reason for the manifestation is the irritation of a particular epithelium that lines the respiratory tract. Local receptor blockers inhibit their function and reduce nerve conduction.
- Mucolytics Liquefied mucus These drugs play a major role in therapy because they quickly transform the disease into the coughing stage of the moist.
- Bronchodilator drugs. Required to relieve bronchospasm. Facilitate the process of lung breathing. Their use is particularly important in bronchial asthma.
- Antihistamines Required to alleviate an allergic reaction, block the production of histamine or receptor sensitivity to this substance.
- Grippostad It is used for the common cold of cough. It consists only of natural ingredients, so the drug is safe for personal use. Appointed for patients from one year old.
Treatment of dry, irritable cough in a child is possible with codeine-based drugs.
However, these remedies should only be prescribed by a doctor because the risk of serious side effects is high.
- Codelac. It has a generalized generalized effect on the suppression of the reflex. It is considered a universal antitussive.
- Sinekod It has a similar effect, but it is a mild ingredient and it can also be used in younger patients (from two months old).
How can dry cough be treated in a child under the age of one? It is necessary to use combined drugs such as Stoptussin.
This is one of the safest drugs for therapy. It is used in children from six months.
- Levopront. Older children appointed.
- Herbion Another safe means of plant nature. Possible temporary use as a measure of self-help.
- Antihistamines The first or third generation (Pipuchten, Tsetrin, Tavegil, Suprastin).
All of these drugs are considered relatively safe, but it is not recommended to treat yourself.
The use of a specific tool requires a professional medical response from a specialist.
Appointment only if the infection process is proven. Before using it, it is also necessary to carry out a sputum analysis with a culture of the sensitivity of pathogenic microflora to the action of antibacterial drugs.
To quickly cure a dry cough in a child caused by a bacterial infection, broad-spectrum drugs are prescribed.
Independent admission is generally not acceptable.
Only used at the end of the acute phase of the disease. Specific procedures are determined by the physiotherapist. Electrophoresis, magnets, ultrasound effects on the affected areas.
Treating a compulsive dry cough in a child helps inhalation.
Until the immediate source of the reflex is determined, all inhalations based on essential oils, herbs and medicinal herbs are strictly prohibited.
Such self-activity can cause a young patient’s health to deteriorate.
It is allowed to use neutral means:
- steam inhalation.
- Inhalation with salt and soda.
The first option is prohibited if the baby is at a temperature, the second is made with a nebulizer. This treatment option is very effective if you want to quickly soothe a cough.
Nothing can be helped at home. And after the diagnosis, the hospital is inhaled with bronchodilators (Berotek, Berodual).
Therapy folk remedies
Help in the treatment of dry cough in a child and folk remedies.
They cannot replace synthetic medicines and should not be used as a primary therapy.
Folk remedies are treated with great caution: the risk of allergies. They only serve as a supplement to the treatment and are intended to improve the effect of tablets and syrups.
- Rub badger fat. Fat rub the chest and wrap the child with a warm blanket. The mechanism of action is the warming effect.
- Onion infusion Take the average onion and grind it on a grater. Mix with two spoons of sugar and leave in a dark and cold place overnight. Dilute the resulting product with water to a syrupy state. Take one tablespoon three times a day.
- Boil several large potatoes. Grind and put in gauze or another cloth. Place a compress on the chest and wrap it with a warm cloth. Leave the application overnight.
- Radish with honey If you are allergic to honey, the remedy is contraindicated. Mix the juice of a radish with honey. Give a child a teaspoon twice a day.
These are the safest methods of herbal medicine.
General recommendations for therapy
- The air in the room should be constantly humidified (approx. 60%). Moisture and excessive dryness should be avoided.
- It is necessary to maintain the optimal temperature (about 20 degrees). Excessively hot air and cold air damage the respiratory tract.
- Cold preparations should be used with caution. We admit their independent reception, but only before visiting the doctor.
- Folk remedies will be deferred last. They can be of great help, but it is recommended to consult a doctor before using them.
- Inhalation at home is allowed, but only with neutral means.
Dry cough in children is a manifestation of many pathologies that are not so easy to understand. At the first signs of a persistent cough reflex, you should immediately see a doctor. This is the only correct solution.
How quickly a child’s cough can be cured
Protecting your baby from colds is almost impossible, and it often happens that parents struggle with the main manifestations of the disease almost every month. In most cases, children are concerned about intense coughing attacks that require special attention, as this symptom can cause many complications in a small body. Before you can quickly cure a child’s cough, you need to find out which remedies are best used and which herbal remedies or pharmaceutical preparations are preferred.
What to do if a child starts to cough?
The problem is to bother parents who are faced with unpleasant signs of a baby’s illness – what are the first steps to be taken when the child begins to cough. Doctors warn: Do not go to the pharmacy immediately and buy money that, according to adults, can quickly cope with the disease. Often it is the fault of the parents that leads to death – improper treatment leads to difficult complications that can only be managed with aggressive medication.
What to do and how quickly a child’s cough can be cured to prevent the disease from developing First of all, you need to determine what exactly led to this disturbing and painful manifestation of the crumbs. Not always coughing fits of the common cold. There are many diseases that tell you about the same symptoms, and often you have to apply a complex effect and be under the strict control of doctors. Therefore, treatment should only begin after the diagnosis, which only a doctor can hold. You have to contact him first.
Is it possible to cure the cold symptom at home in one day?
How can coughing fits be managed in one day at home? Most parents believe that this is impossible, and even the strongest medicines cannot withstand a cold symptom in a day. You shouldn’t be so skeptical about the long-established fact – it turns out that you can quickly get over the first signs of a cold by applying the knowledge of traditional medicine that has been accumulated over many years. Of course, it is only possible on condition that no dangerous processes in the form of inflammation develop in a small organism.
The simplest and most effective means is to make a milk-based mixture. If you give the composition on the first coughing attacks, there are no traces left the next day.
- Bring high-fat milk (200 ml) to the boil.
- Take the container out of the oven and add honey (25-30 g).
- Add the butter mixture (20 gr.).
- Stir the composition.
The potion has to be drunk at once. It is recommended to do this three times a day. The last use of the remedy should be before bedtime.
How does a dry cough affect a child??
Doctors recommend that when a dry cough occurs in a child, the mucus with inhalation liquefies. It is often the steam processes that completely replace the treatment with pharmaceutical preparations or the intake of herbal preparations. If the baby often suffers from colds, you can purchase an inhaler that works safely and easily on the sputum that triggers coughing fits. If there is no way to purchase the device, steaming procedures can be performed in a simpler way by allowing the child to breathe the vapors of medication or vegetable waste.
Before you quickly cure a child’s cough, it’s best to talk to your doctor about what formulations are used for manipulation. If there are no contraindications, it is recommended to start inhaling with herbal cooling – they have an active effect on the expectoration. You can use the following to prepare homemade medicine:
It is easy to prepare the structure – mash herbs and fill up with boiled water. The final phase of preparation is a continuous infusion (at least half an hour). Make sure that no steam is burning. The procedure is sufficient and a quarter of an hour.
How can I affect a child’s wet cough?
After an expectoration has been caused, the infusion of pine buds can be affected by a wet cough in a child. This home remedy will quickly clear the baby of the mucus that has accumulated in the airways and at the same time eliminate the irritation in the throat that often occurs with attacks of dry cough.
- Boil the milk (220 ml).
- Put the pine buds in the boiling liquid (25 g).
- Take the saucepan off the stove, keep the lid closed and insist for half an hour.
- Let the composition down. You can add a little bee product (adding honey is only possible if the crumbs are not allergic).
The medication to give the child in small portions is only 20-30 ml once. The child should drink the prepared composition during the day the next day to prepare a fresh remedy.
What to do if your baby is worried about coughing and runny nose?
If a cold with multiple symptoms occurs and the child has a cough and a runny nose, you need to use stronger formulations of traditional medicine. In such cases, it is advisable to start a complex treatment – use cakes against coughing fits and bury the nose with some oil (olive oil, menthol, from rose hips) for several days. It is recommended to pre-rinse, you can use a solution based on sea water from the pharmacy.
Take sunflower oil, flour, honey and mustard powder for flat cakes. It is recommended to eat all components in equal amounts, the flour may need a little more – the dough should be elastic and elastic, it is easy to roll. After kneading, stretch it into a thick layer wrapped in plastic and place it on the baby’s chest. Make sure you fix the problem and wait a few hours.
This treatment is usually sufficient to completely forget about unpleasant catarrhal symptoms within a few days. It is possible to supplement the effect on coughing attacks and runny nose by taking off vegetables – this helps to manage the disease even faster.
Medicinal bulbs for all types of cough
Many home remedies have a burning vegetable in their composition, which has a remarkable effect on both expectoration and wet cough. You can prepare different compositions, but for children it is often recommended to prepare onion syrup, which is practically safe for a small organism.
- Peel and shred 500 grams. onions
- Add sugar (400 g) and honey (100 g) to the mixture.
- Send the container of the mixture to the stove, simmer and make sure that the cooking process does not start for about two hours.
- Strain the liquid and put it in the fridge after cooling.
Give the child onion syrup in small doses – only 15 ml. If the cough is too intense, you can do this every hour. If the coughing fits are rare, you can use the drug 3-5 times a day.
Treatment should not last longer than a week. If no positive results were achieved during this time, which is very rare, you should see a doctor. There is a possibility that the child is not taking care of the cold, but a more complicated illness.
How to cure a child’s cough quickly, traditional medicine can speak for a long time, since there is a lot of money that can actively influence the disease. The only thing parents shouldn’t forget is that the baby’s general condition needs to be closely monitored throughout the course of treatment. If there are any signs of complications, see a doctor immediately.
How can a cough in children be cured quickly?
The cough in children is not an extraordinary phenomenon, but it invariably causes feelings of the parents. Above all, it often causes the child a small, strong discomfort. Therefore, adults want to quickly cure cough in the crumbs.
Of course, the cough itself is a useful feature of the body: it clears the respiratory tract of mucus, dust and foreign bodies. A characteristic cough with accompanying symptoms, however, indicates an illness and should therefore not be ignored.
What is a childhood cough?
Cough is different in both children and adults, depending on the nature.
Depending on productivity, ie whether the expectoration disappears during its attack, it is divided into dry and wet.
Signs of dry cough
Dry cough is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- Lack of sputum
- Sore throat;
- possible general malaise;
- Temperature rise can occur.
Symptoms of a wet cough
Wet cough is a reaction of the body to the accumulation of expectoration and disappears with it.
It is characterized by the following symptoms:
- Expectoration of expectoration;
- chest pains may be felt in severe attacks;
- loss of appetite;
- Sometimes the temperature rises significantly.
Which diseases can he point out??
A cough can be accompanied by more specific symptoms that indicate a specific disease:
- With a "barking" Ringtone – it often manifests in young children as a sign of ARVI, upper respiratory diseases and also allergic reactions that are usually observed at night.
- In combination with wheezing – this may indicate inflammation of the lower respiratory tract or a foreign body in the neck of a child, it also accompanies bronchial asthma.
There are also less common types of cough: inhalation, emotional shock, exercise, eating, and so on.
When do you urgently need to show the baby to the doctor??
Any unusual case requires consultation with a pediatrician and closer specialists in the direction of the local doctor.
So if all the symptoms that accompany the seizure appear very bright, cough is obsessive, the baby cannot sleep at night, is accompanied by the release of green sputum or blood clots, and is also rusty or has an unpleasant smell, the temperature is high for a long time – do not delay the doctor‘s treatment.
The same goes for dry cough: with his "barking" Noise, excessive frequency and obsession, high temperatures and problems with a child’s difficulty breathing should be seen by the pediatrician as soon as possible.
The main causes of cough in children
Cough can be caused by adverse circumstances or illnesses.
Not related to the disease
The first group includes such cases:
- The child choked on the airways with a drink, food, saliva, or a foreign object.
- The baby breathes dry, dusty, polluted air, inhaled tobacco smoke or aerosol spray.
The list of the most common diseases that cause cough is:
- Infectious diseases, including ARVI, flu, sore throat, tuberculosis. A special case of infectious diseases is whooping cough, in which cough is the main symptom;
- Allergies (food, medicines);
- inflammatory diseases of the upper respiratory tract.
However, experts point out that the vast majority of cases of manifestation of this symptom in children are still associated with acute respiratory disease.
When can a cough be cured quickly?
First of all, you have to remember that cough is not a disease, but a symptom. This means that there is no universal cough suppressant and the disease that was the cause of coughing fits must be treated.
If the phenomenon is allergic, it is possible to get rid of the cough in a relatively short time – by removing the allergen and taking antihistamines.
In the case of asthmatic diseases, an attack with the necessary medication can be calmed down in a few minutes.
With acute infections of the respiratory tract and respiratory infections, a child’s cough does not work so quickly, of course, the same applies to whooping cough.
How to help your child get rid of cough: conditions in the house
Before starting treatment for cough, it should be clear that in diseases related to expectoration in the airways and respiratory system, it is a useful symptom if it is productive.
Therefore, the main task of the parents in this case is not only to eliminate the attacks, but they have to be more productive without affecting the child’s normal daily routine.
In other words, the ultimate goal of all cough health measures is to reduce the frequency, prevent seizures, and promote expectoration.
Keep the room clean
The first thing you need to do is not pack the first aid kit, but provide a comfortable environment for a sick child. Special requirements are placed on room humidity, temperature and, of course, cleanliness.
Daily wet cleaning in the apartment is ideal. It is important that as little dust as possible accumulates in the room where the baby is most often present – plush toys, carpets, pillows. In this state, the baby will breathe much easier and mother – to maintain cleanliness.
Pleasant humidity and air temperature
The optimal humidity in the house must be guaranteed – 60-70%. The problem of insufficient air humidity in the room is particularly acute during the heating season, which is why the purchase of a special device for normalization is not worthwhile. In extreme cases, you can hang wet terry towels on the batteries.
At the air temperature in the room, 18-20 degrees are sufficient. It is easier to breathe with cool air, and the child does not sweat, which means that the body does not lose valuable moisture.
Right water regime
By the way, in the period of the illness, accompanied by cough, it is simply necessary to provide the body of the baby (and also the adult) with fluid. And you have to drink more, the better, not only if you want to.
Whenever possible, it is important to offer the child:
- not too sweet compote
- Infusion of dried fruit,
- warm tea
- Mineral water.
Excessive warm drink is a great way to improve expectoration and soothe the throat irritated cough.
All of these activities make a significant contribution to reducing the intensity of attacks and increasing their productivity. In this way, they help cure cough quickly.
In addition, you can carefully use various folk remedies, inhalation and percussion massages, compresses and, on the recommendation of a doctor, medication.
According to the experience of many generations, homemade mixtures of onions and garlic, lemon, honey and ginger help to get rid of the cough.
Radish with honey
Popular cures for cough include a popular infusion of radish with honey. This is how it is done: The middle black radish is cut out and a spoonful of honey is poured into the resulting depression, one day insists.
A syrup that appears in a well, a mixture of honey and radish juice, is given to children when they cough three times a day for 2-3 days.
Mix with honey
Efficiency also shows:
- Onion juice with honey in a 1: 1 ratio.
- Warm milk with honey and mineral water in a ratio of 1: 1: 0.04.
- A useful mix of walnuts (0.5 kg), honey (0.3 kg), lemon juice (4 pieces) and aloe (1 teaspoon). Taken three times a day with a teaspoon.
It should be noted that the dosage of the use of such funds varies for children of different ages:
- For babies up to 4 years old, a single dose in a volume of a teaspoon is recommended.
- older children can increase the dose for dessert,
- after 10 years – to a tablespoon.
It is also important to remember that children under three years old are not recommended to give honey to doctors and that the child is not allergic to the ingredients of the blends. In addition, many pediatricians are not recommended to use folk remedies when the child is still in its infancy.
To avoid cough, very warm foot baths are often used, for example with mustard powder (it takes quite a bit to avoid burning), after which the child’s feet are usually rubbed and worn with a warming ointment with the addition of badger oil socks.
Compressions placed on the baby’s chest and / or legs will also help cure cough faster.
Here are some recipes:
- Warm-boiled potato cakes, a few drops of iodine and one and a half tablespoons of olive oil are placed on the child’s chest and back over a sheet of paper and then covered with foil or polyethylene. Next, the baby is wrapped up and a compress left to cool off.
- Woolen cloth is moistened in salt water (a tablespoon with a heap of salt on a plate with warm water), make a compress, wrap the child. Let go overnight.
- Rub garlic (whole head) with fat or oil in an amount of 100 g, put the mixture on the baby’s feet before going to bed. Let go overnight.
Thermal effects on the sensory points of the feet or directly on the chest also contribute to thinning and expectoration of the expectoration.
Massage to facilitate expectoration
A cough that removes mucus from the respiratory system can only be cured quickly if this mucus falls off easily.
It is possible to support the child with the expectoration cough with the help of the percussion massage. Vibrations that are reported to the chest during conduction contribute to the release of mucus from the bronchi.
Instructions for implementation
Do a massage as follows:
- We put the patient’s stomach on his knees or on a pillow.
- For a minute or two, we pat the edge of the hand or fingertips on the baby’s back, quite hard but not hurting.
- We put the child in a vertical position and ask for a cough.
The process is repeated 4-5 times. During the massage, remind your little patient to change the position of the head once or twice a minute.
Important: at elevated temperatures, the percussion massage is contraindicated!
In order to eliminate the cough in a child, modern mothers actively use inhalation devices: steam inhalers and nebulizers.
The steam inhaler produces steam with fairly large particles and is suitable for moistening the upper respiratory tract and removing the sputum.
It allows inhalation with dry cough with salt and mineral water, herbal decoctions, oil solutions and some medication.
Nebulizers distribute microparticles of the liquid with a medical solution and are recommended for use in the complex therapy of diseases of the lower respiratory tract.
As a rule, in this case, a fairly heavy medication for inhalation is required, which is sold in a pharmacy and used only on prescription.
If there is no inhaler or nebulizer in the house, many parents organize steam procedures under the covers in the old way "over the potatoes" for the sick children.
The benefits of inhalation with cough
Why are all of these events good? The advantage of inhalation is that the airways and thus the dry mucus are actively moistened, which makes coughing easier. Inhalation is a good and environmentally friendly cough medicine.
You should know that babies still do not have excessive coughing. So if there is a lot of sputum and it swells in the airways, there is a risk that the child will suffocate and be unable to spit up mucus. Therefore, to carry out such procedures very carefully and rarely, especially young children.
For diseases that are associated with cough, as with any other disease, a visit to the pediatrician is required.
If the baby has an obsessive and dry cough or the expectoration material is not squeezed out (if it is unproductive) even though there is mucus in the airways, the doctor can prescribe a cough medicine to improve the situation.
There are two groups of medications used to treat cough:
Antitussives that block the cough reflex
These remedies can be recommended for dry cough, including psychogenic or allergic diseases. For use in children, it is important to choose non-narcotics of this type that do not inhibit brain activity and do not cause addiction.
Mucolytic drugs liquefy mucus or contribute to its production in liquid form, which improves the excretion of phlegm from the bronchi. As a rule, these preparations are made on the basis of plant components, for example licorice root, plantain leaves or coltsfoot.
Important: You cannot claim the money from these two groups at the same time! If you dilute the expectorant while suppressing coughing, you can only cause serious lung problems, e.g. B. pneumonia, but not recovery.
Prevention of cough in children
For the prevention of cough as well as for the treatment, it is important to create the most favorable environment for the child – for normal temperature and humidity, as well as for timely wet cleaning and ventilation in the room in which the baby is located.
The more time the child spends in the fresh air, plays actively, is tempered and runs barefoot, the less the risk of getting the disease with a cough.
It is necessary to observe the schedule of vaccination of the child from diseases such as whooping cough and tuberculosis. In times of epidemics, you should refrain from visiting crowded places. And of course healthy daily regimes and proper nutrition are important.
With such preventive measures, the child does not need cough medicine!
Traditional and traditional treatments
It’s easy to be healthy!
- Open blog menu
- At home
- all articles
- Make a note of it to the doctor
Quick cough treatment for a child at home
The child coughs and it is always bad. If it is not a cold or an infectious disease, this uncomfortable phenomenon can be remedied at home using proven methods that our grandparents have used. Parents are of course interested in how to quickly cure a child’s cough at home, but it’s worth warning that this can’t happen in a day or two. It will take some time because the components used should be safe for children.
Causes of cough in children
The coughing process is quite physiological because it is naturally protective and protects the respiratory tract from the accumulation of dust particles, microscopic foreign bodies and mucus. If the child coughs regularly during the day, this does not mean a serious illness. This way, infants are freed from the penetration of breast milk or saliva.
It is important that parents pay attention to whether other unpleasant symptoms such as fever, runny nose, headache are accompanied by a cough. Sometimes even a child’s lack of warmth cannot guarantee that a cough is not a sign of a body disorder.
- Lung infection;
- Bronchial asthma;
- Tracheal inflammation and other respiratory diseases;
- Respiratory diseases;
- Digestive system dysfunction;
- Reaction to allergens of plant, animal origin, chemicals when the child takes medication.
In all of these cases, there is usually a wet cough, the symptoms of which are the quality of the expectoration. This biological substance can indicate the origin of the cough:
- If it is watery, practically transparent, this indicates inflammation of the mucous membranes of the respiratory canals;
- if it contains bloody impurities, most likely with tuberculosis or functional heart failure;
- If the mucus has a foul smell and contains pus, this is an indicator of an abscess.
- With asthma and bronchial inflammation, the expectoration is heterogeneous, viscous and contains lumps and lumps;
- If the mucus has a foul smell and contains pus, this is an indicator of an abscess.
A dry cough can occur with diseases such as diphtheria, wrong croup, flu, throat and larynx, whooping cough. It is usually jerky and resembles a barking dog.
Such a cough does not go away in a child, but can develop if the larynx swells and the baby can hardly breathe. Children who are up to five years old from infancy often suffer from this type of cough with the wrong croup. This disease cannot be treated at home – it is better to consult a doctor immediately.
In some cases, even the child’s lack of warmth cannot guarantee that the cough is not a sign of a body disorder.
When a child needs medical care
Even with expectoration with a wet cough, self-medication can worsen the child’s well-being.
Parents need to know when it is not possible without a doctor:
- if the child begins to vomit after coughing;
- if a cough occurs in the dream and such attacks do not stop;
- Aside from the fact that the baby has a cough, vomiting and wheezing are heard when breathing.
- Pain in the child’s chest against the background of cough is a dangerous combination;
- Sputum is greenish in color or there is blood in it;
- the baby is short of breath;
- Cough persists for a long time with intensive treatment (15-20 days).
As for the phenomenon of coughing after sleep that occurs in the morning, it is a natural measure in infants to get rid of mucus and tears, but in other cases, diseases of the nasopharynx, bronchial asthma, pyloric gastrica disorder, an allergy physical reaction for stimuli.
Cough often becomes a residual symptom of the disease, but if you ignore this pathology, there are several options for complications. Therefore, it is important for infectious and catarrhal complaints to consult a doctor, especially if they are children whose immune systems are not yet perfect.
Often, however, the baby coughs only unnecessarily "rubbish" in his lungs, or this phenomenon persists after laryngitis. How can a child’s cough be cured quickly at home, and how is it harmless for him?
There are several such treatments that all deserve parental attention because it is desirable to act in a complex manner.
With infectious and catarrhal complaints, it is important to consult a doctor, especially if they are children.
How can a child’s cough be cured quickly at home?
If a child has a coughing fit, parents may be able to help them cope with these problems, and sometimes prevent them from occurring. There are several ways to get rid of cough quickly at home.
You can take some useful measures:
- The air in the nursery should not be too dry, as the cause of cough is insufficient moisture. You can put a three-liter glass of water in the corner of the room or buy a special fountain.
- When lying in bed, it must be ensured that the upper body of the baby is at a certain height compared to the legs so that the child can breathe more easily.
When coughing, the baby should be placed face down on the knees and do a light back massage, knead and tap gently. Sometimes it is enough to trigger a gagging instinct that touches the spoon on the inner wall of the neck – this stops the attack.
Many don’t know how to treat a child’s cough. Various procedures and folk remedies are suitable for these purposes.
It can be compresses, inhalations and packs.
- Inhalation is convenient to do at home, and this method is extremely simple – the child breathes steam over a hot pool, to which plant ether, medicinal herbs and specialty products prescribed by a doctor can be added.
- Great herbs such as linden with oregano, chamomile and sage or eucalyptus with menthol and marigold are suitable for warming the nasopharynx.
- An easy way is to mix a few drops of iodine tincture and a spoonful of soda in hot water – the recipe is useful for liquefying sputum and making your baby’s breathing easier.
But mothers and fathers need to know – this procedure cannot be done if the baby has high fever, heart and vascular disease, and is allergic to herbs or ether. You cannot use this method for children who have a tendency to bleed or who are suspected of having bronchitis.
Baby diapers or towels soaked with diluted mustard are used for infants. The solution should be wrung out and wrapped around the baby’s chest and back with a cloth. Then you need to wrap the baby with a warm blanket or blanket. The entire procedure takes about four minutes. Then the mustard is washed off the skin, wiped dry and the child is put in bed. Preschoolers and older children can simply put mustard plasters on gauze to avoid burns.
As a compress, boiled potatoes, pureed and mixed with turpentine, alcohol and vegetable oil, a spoon is used for three medium-sized potatoes. Two tortillas are formed from a cool mixture and brought to a warm shape on the chest and back. Hold it for at least 60 minutes.
How to cure a child’s cough using common methods:
- in the case of cough, a chamomile brewed with honey or a drink prepared on the basis of heated milk with the addition of natural honey and baking powder helps;
- You can add a lot of chopped onion pulp with honey or a small piece of butter to children who are one year old – this softens the throat mucosa, the onion disinfects the tissues of the pharynx and the seizures quickly pass;
- The same positive effect is observed if you insist that honey insist on radish juice, put it in a vegetable, and leave it in the dark for half a day. Children drink the resulting juice on a small spoon three times a day.
- Half an hour before each meal, children can be advised to drink a tablespoon of steamed plantain leaf that has been infused for five hours.
Video: We treat cough in children quickly at home
It’s quick and easy to learn how to cure a child’s cough at home. The main thing is that a child has one or the other means. Before undergoing such treatment, it is useful to seek the advice of a pediatrician about what is necessary and useful and what is better to give up so as not to provoke complications.
Dry cough (toddler) Dry cough is a common accompanying symptom at the beginning and end of a cold or flu (influenza). Young children have a hard time…
These little home remedies help cough up children! Children sometimes need a little different home remedy for cough than we adults do The to cough is…
The child in you must find a home The key to solving (almost) all problems The content of this book is a problem-solving structure that I developed, with…
Mostly harmless and easy to treat Fever is a common reason to consult a doctor in children. Fortunately, 90% of the feverish children, who become acutely…