Cough Remedies: The Best Remedies That Really Help
What are the best cough suppressants and what really helps?
In the cold season, strong defenses are needed, so you survive the recurring flu waves unscathed. If you catch a cold, several measures can be taken to relieve the symptoms. After all, a classic cold always runs according to the same pattern: first it is only noticeable by a slight cold; sometimes followed by fiber with headache and body aches. What remains persistent until the healing is the cough – even if the mucus in the throat has long been overcome. The consequences are horrible sore throat, hoarseness and unpleasant coughing fits. This article is intended to serve as a brief overview of various types of cough torments. Not only common medicines from the pharmacy are listed, but also effective home remedies that have already proven themselves over several generations.
What are cough suppressants and what are their differences??
Cough suppressants are agents that are said to effectively suppress nagging coughs. These are often taken at night, so that the coughing subsides and a restful sleep is possible. Depending on the severity of the symptoms, cough suppressants can be differentiated into several varieties. For a mild cough usually home remedies such. For example, warm milk with honey completely off. For severe cough, the pharmacy offers a wide range of over-the-counter preparations, which have few side effects. These may be both light chemical preparations and herbal remedies. These are in turn offered in various dosage forms. So z. B. cough syrups, lozenges or drops are purchased freely. The situation is different with preparations which are supposed to help with a very strong cough. These are, for example, drops with mono-codeine, which must be prescribed by the doctor due to the possible side effects.
Use these tips and aids to quench your cough.
The best home remedies for cough
Gentle home remedies have always been a popular alternative to conventional medicine. This also applies to cough stunts. Below we have listed the best home remedies to relieve a mild cough.
– onion syrup: Probably the oldest home remedy is the onion, because it has always been accessible to all. Despite the taste of the sweetened onion, which is getting used to, it is worthwhile to completely empty out the liquid. The contained essential oils relieve sore throat and prevent new cough attacks. Therefore, the syrup should be taken just before bedtime. If brown sugar is available it should be made herewith. For this the onion has to be cut very small and boiled together with the sugar. Once the liquid has cooled, pass through a kitchen sieve. The won syrup can now be taken slowly.
– Hot milk with honeyAnother classic from Granny’s kitchen is a large cup of milk with honey before sleeping. However, it must be remembered that milk aggravates the cough with sputum rather. Therefore, it should only be taken in the evening or with a dry cough (without expectoration). A little tip for quiet nights: Let a teaspoon of honey slowly melt in your mouth before you sleep.
– Inhale ethereal water vapor: Inhaled steam promotes soothing heat in the bronchi and therefore not only has a cough suppressant, but also an expectorant effect. Therefore, you should take several times in the morning and throughout the day to the facial sauna, which can be prepared very uncomplicated. All you need is a kettle, a medium heat resistant bowl, tap water and a large towel. For the addition of essential oils, you can simply resort to a few bags of chamomile tea. First boil about ½ liter of water and put it in the bowl. Put the tea in the water and let it steep. Sit comfortably in front of the slightly cooled camomile water, bend over it with a certain safety distance and place the towel over your head so that the steam can not escape. Try to stay under the towel as long as possible so that the water does not cool. Repeat this as often as you like.
– Drink a lot: To prevent the affected mucous membranes from drying out, one of the world’s most ancient home remedies is to consume plenty of warm liquid. In general, any tea is welcome, which is like drunk. However, there are also explicit cough-alleviating teas in the drugstore or pharmacy, which are advertised as “cough and bronchial tea”. The contained Spitzwegerichkraut counteracts irritating cough and is also suitable for use shortly before going to bed.
Recipe-free cough suppressants
If the cough persists, you can get over-the-counter cough suppressants in the pharmacy. Although they usually have chemical agents, but are still low in side effects. The dosage forms vary, so that everything from cough drops to syrups and pastilles is represented. Below we have listed for you an overview of the most important active ingredients in cough tilers. Although they have very few side effects, they should only be used over a short period of time. If the cough does not improve after one week despite the intake of over-the-counter preparations, it is essential to go to the doctor.
– For the active ingredient “dextromethorphan“(DMP) is an agent that affects the nervous system. The mechanism of action suppresses the coughing stimulus in the brain and ensures that those affected only have productive cough (to clear off mucus). Dry irritated cough is suppressed. Since the active substance has a direct influence on the nervous system, it is essential to read the package leaflet carefully for the correct dosage, because incorrect dosing can lead to increased tiredness and dizziness. Dextromethorphan is represented in cough drops or cough syrup with honey (both from WICK). There are also lozenges containing dextromethorphan (Silomat DMP with honey). DMP has proven to be the most effective cough medicine in the eco-test.
– Another drug with direct impact on the nervous system is “pentoxyverine“. Although unlike dextromethorphan it rarely causes exhaustion and drowsiness, it should be used moderately due to possible gastrointestinal complaints. For the correct dosage, the demand in the pharmacy is recommended. That the cough is sedated in the brain can also be derived from the trade name of a preparation: Sedotussin cough drops. But also the cough syrup and the cough drops of Silomat contain this active substance.
– The third drug we present in this review has no effect on the nervous system. “Benproperinphosphat“Inhibits the onset of cough directly in the lungs. Breathing is stimulated in contrast to the first two preparations. As a result, the drug is approved from the age of 7 years. An example of cough suppressants based on this ingredient are Tussafug tablets.
– Salivary preparations like GeloRevoice (Lozenges) are particularly gentle, as the active ingredients contained only promote the moistening of the irritated airways. They are placed in the mouth and melt slowly on the tongue. This creates a jelly-like liquid that stimulates salivation. The fluid then settles around the respiratory tract like a protective mantle. Thus, it protects against dehydration and prevents irritating cough.
– A classic among natural preparations Prospan. The extracts of the ivy leaf not only reduce cough, but also slightly anti-inflammatory. Prospan dissolves solid secretions, so that severe coughing can be significantly alleviated.
Prescription cough suppressants
In extreme coughing fits, which are associated with pain in the bronchi and persistent insomnia, the visit to the doctor is inevitable. This can prescribe stronger, yet well-tolerated cough suppressants, so you can sleep properly again. These prescription drugs are usually based on the active ingredient “codeine”. The reason for the prescription arises from the chemical structure, which resembles that of opium. Unlike opium, codeine does not cause dependency, so it can be taken if needed. Codein also affects the nervous system and suppresses the coughing in the brain. To quench a cough the respiratory activity is rather restrained by the drug. Thus, the remedy is not suitable if those affected also suffer from asthma and in any case have breathing difficulties. For example, cough suppressants containing the active ingredient codeine can be found in the bronchicum mono codein drops.
There are numerous methods to quench irritating cough. Depending on the severity of the cough, there is a whole range of effective cough suppressants to choose from for gentle home remedies and chemical preparations. It is important that existing pre-existing conditions are excluded before taking or prescribing. With codeine, the exclusion of asthma is of particular importance. On the other hand, especially with cough syrup to look for an existing diabetes, as these are often particularly sugary. While for children at most to resort to herbal remedies, the active ingredient DMP has proven to be a particularly effective cough suppressant for adults.
Back pain – home remedies, causes and therapy This text complies with the specifications of medical literature, medical guidelines and current studies…
The best smart speaker Sebastian Jentsch For smart speakers, in addition to the sound quality, it depends above all on how good the voice assistant is on…
Scabies: Unintentional visit by mites Scabies are caused by mites that settle on the skin of humans. The mites can be transmitted from person to person…
Best Work Pants – 10 Models That Get Away! “A craftsman in the house is never wrong! When do you want to move in? ” I remember a while ago when I was…