Acupressure for children
Did you know that acupressure for children can not only relieve acute aches and pains? Acupressure is also a great way to help your child grow up fit and healthy and to prevent discomfort. Read here what we can learn from Chinese medicine when it comes to prevention.
In Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), prevention programs to support and improve health are of great importance. By treating certain acupressure points, diseases can be prevented, the immune system and constitution can be strengthened and the psyche can be brought into balance. Each of the acupressure programmes presented here can be carried out once a day for optimal effectiveness or for acute complaints/problems. However, it is usually sufficient if you practice it once a week. Different instructions are given in the corresponding acupressure program. Both sides of the body are always treated. Whenever a circular or circular treatment is prescribed, perform the circular movements in a clockwise direction.
Important for acupressure for children
Even though all programmes are suitable from the age of 2, not every toddler will be enthusiastic about keeping calm and being treated. If your child does not like acupressure, please do not force him or her to do it and try again later! Your child should feel comfortable during the treatment and not be held against his will.
All measurements given in the text such as finger or thumb width refer to the fingers of your child!
Winter Acupressure Program for Children to Prevent Coryza
Do the following exercise once a day to prevent the cold season or several times a day if your child already has a cold.
- Use your index fingers to press firmly on the points on your child’s nose shown in Figure 1 for 10 seconds and then rub these points briefly in circular movements.
- Stimulate the points shown in Figures 2 and 3 in the same way.
- Repeat the entire procedure three times in a row by pressing and rubbing, always starting with the lowest point (see figure 1).
- Finally, rub three times in even movements from the lower to the middle and upper points to the centre of the forehead.
All-round acupressure program for children to strengthen general health
The massage of the following reflex zones as well as the point stomach 36 should strengthen the healthy energy flow in the body and thus prevent diseases. If possible, treat two to three times a week.
- Reflex zone outer edge of thumb: Place your child’s hand on your thigh (or on the table) so that you look at the palm of his hand. The reflex zone is now on the outside of the thumb (see Figure 4). Slightly stroke the outside of the thumb from the tip of the thumb to the root of the thumb for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Reflex Zone Belly Button: This reflex zone is located around the belly button (see Figure 5). Smoothly stroke 3 to 5 times with your flat hand in a circle around the navel.
- Reflex zone back: Now the entire back is treated to the left and right of the spine – starting in the neck and going down to the bottom (see Figure 6). Using your thumb, index finger and middle finger, pull the skin slightly upwards to the left and right of the spine to create a wrinkle. Slide this skin fold 3 to 5 times from top to bottom.
- Stomach 36 (Ma 36): Let your child bend his knees or bend his legs. The point is about one hand wide (as wide as the adjacent fingers from the index finger to the little finger, see Figure below the kneecap, about one thumb wide from the side of the shinbone to the outside of the leg. The treatment is carried out for 30 to 60 seconds by strong, vibration-like circling. You let the finger vibrate rhythmically on the point, i.e. you perform small “up-and-down movements” as well as small circular movements at the same time.
Acupressure Immune Program for Children to Strengthen the Defense Forces
- Colon 4 (Tue 4): Place your child’s hand on a flat surface (e.g. a table), grasp his thumb and place it against his index finger. The dot is exactly on the bulge that forms between the thumb and index finger (see Figure 7). For treatment, the thumb is spread slightly again. The treatment is carried out by gently pressing the thumb in a circle for about 30 to 60 seconds. Only press gently, as the point is very sensitive!
- Lung 7 (Lu 7): The point is on the inside of the forearm, on the thumb side two thumb widths (of the small patient!) above the wrist fold (see figure 9). The treatment is performed by gently pressing the thumb in a circular motion for about 30 to 60 seconds.
- Stomach 36 (Ma 36): Treatment as described under “Allround program to strengthen general health”.
- Spleen 6 (Mi 6): The point is centrally located on the inside of the lower leg, about three transverse fingers above the inner ankle (see Figure and is treated by gently pressing in a circle for about 20 to 30 seconds.
- Stomach 44 (Ma 44): The point at the back of the foot is a few millimetres above the space between the second and third toe (see Figure 8). The treatment is performed by gently pressing it in a circle for about 30 to 60 seconds.