Mallorca is certainly no insider tip and lonely beaches you search here in summer in vain. But they do exist – the beautiful, chilly, special and quiet spots on this sunny island. With these recommendations to Mallorca with children you make guaranteed peace with the package tourism on the island…
Discover Mallorca with children! That’s possible! Even if Mallorca is the 17th federal state of the Germans and El Arenal and Ballermann do not sound like peaceful family holidays at all – family holidays on Mallorca could not be nicer. If you know when and where and what you should avoid and which spots are particularly beautiful for your family holiday.
In keeping with the motto – first the bad news, then the good news – we also want to issue a few warnings. Such an island with all-inclusive and mass tourism has its dark sides. Therefore first a few DON´TS to Mallorca with children.
Holiday with children Mallorca – what you should avoid
- Families with child and dog: …have it hard in the summer in the family vacation on Mallorca. Dogs are only allowed on the following beaches: Alcanada beach in the north, Cala Blanca between Camp de Mar and Andratx, Es Carnatge in Palma, Llenaire beach in Pollenҫa and the rocky beach of Na Patana near Ca’n Picafort. On most other beaches you will find a “dogs not allowed” sign. Unfortunately.
- Palma with children: No, no – you shouldn’t just avoid the capital Palma during your family holidays on Mallorca. On the contrary. In Palma, shopping with children is also excellent. Because the pretty old town with its grand shopping street Passeig del Born (Zara and Massimo Dutti are 20 percent cheaper here than in Germany), the small alleys, beautiful squares and the great cathedral is in many areas a pedestrian zone and therefore safe with kids. However, you should avoid the Son Banya district. Here drug dealers, criminals and other shadow plants cavort.
- Super full beaches on Mallorca: There is no loneliness in the high season anyway, but some beaches are simply no fun anymore on Mallorca – skyscrapers line the beach and one towel is on the other. If you don’t feel like it, you should avoid Cala Ratjada in the “German” east of the island. And of course the beach sections in front of Palma. To the coastal suburb of Palma, Cuidad Jardín, belongs El Arenal, the so-called Ballermann beach section. Not only is everything here completely without charm and full of party people, the water quality is also really bad.
Holidays with children Mallorca – our recommendations
Mallorca with children – where to go by the sea?
In the family vacation on Mallorca you are of course almost always at the sea. One bay follows the next and there is something for every taste. We have therefore picked out a few of our beach highlights on Mallorca for you:
- Pollenca in the northeast of Mallorca: Rugged rocky coastline, rugged mountain peaks and fishing villages – the north and northeast of Mallorca have retained their original character. The beach of Pollenca – a former fishing village – is beautiful with colourful cafes and restaurants and shallow access to the water. Not an insider’s tip, but so wonderful that one can also accept the other tourists here. Be sure to visit the Stay – here gibt´s super tasty tapas directly at the bay. Another plus point with children: There is no road leading past, only the beach promenade. The Pinewalk extends along the promenade: large pines provide shade here. The path passes old villas and many quiet sandy beaches.
- Bay of Alcúdia, also in the north of Mallorca: Westlich des Örtchens Can Picaford beginnt die 16 Kilometer lange Strandkette. Gleich der erste Strand der Kette ist die Bucht von Alcúdia, auch „Platja de Muro Sektion 3“ genannt. Sehr >
Des Trenc beach is a family favourite unspoilt beach adjacent to a nature reserve.
Mallorca with children – Agroturismo in the interior of the country
In the inland you can often still find the right Mallorca. Holidays in the country – Mallorca with children does not go better, we find. And if you feel like bathing, you simply jump into the pool – most good fincas and country hotels have one. Or you make a trip to one of the beaches. On Mallorca the next beach is never far away.
On Agroturismos, the children definitely have plenty of room to whiz – to get an Agroturismo license, the farmer needs at least 21,000 square meters of land and a building that was built before 1960. In return, there will also be state subsidies for the renovation of the old walls. Mallorca with children is our favourite place to be honest. So you can retreat to your Finca and only occasionally rush into the tourist turmoil. Pretty little places for the Mallorca vacation with children in the hinterland are by the way (the selection is coined of course by subjectivity and intransparency): Deià in the northwest – even García Márquez and many painters, actors and musicians were sighted here. Rocks, gnarled trees and a deep blue sea – what more could an artist want? Fornalutx – also in the northwest – has been voted the most beautiful village of Mallorca several times. Rightly so. Nobody can escape the rustic charm of the car-free village. And in the middle of Mallorca lies Sineu with a pretty church. In the tranquil village, the bear only steps on Wednesdays when the weekly market has everything under control.
The picturesque village of Fornalutx
Mallorca with children recommendations for a fun holiday
A few special places we would like to recommend to you. For example Kids Republic in the middle of lively Palma. A super skillful mixture of cool café, child care, toddler group, play rooms and play course. You say: I’m not going to Mallorca to sit in an indoor playground? Ha! If you still visit this (air-conditioned) shop with its high standard and the super beautiful interior, you’ll wonder afterwards why we don’t have such a thing! You can also put the little ones in the care of qualified educators by the hour and do sightseeing in the meantime. But you’ll want to stay there and chill a bit, because it’s too nice… Oh yes, not far from Kids Republic is Palma’s most beautiful playground. At the northern tip of the small Sa Feixina Park – with a super slide tower, toddlers’ equipment and a bistro café for snacks, ice cream – and WLAN.
Here comes the train! A ride in the “Red Lightning” through the orange and lemon groves of Soller is a blast (not only) for kids. The bright red historic tramway, in whose open wagons you can jingle from the Jugendstilbahnhof to the harbour with a lot of jingling, is just fun. Finally, the “Ort der Orangen” offers extra fruity orange ice cream, refined with pieces of shell and crispy chocolate. Best from the small Fabrica de Gelats manufactory opposite the market hall.
The mystical rock gate arch: Es Pontas is a huge rock gate rising out of the sea, through which one can sail. For example with a pedal boat that you can rent at Cala Santanyi. Then you just have to turn right around the rock nose and down through the middle. Exciting!
Mallorca with children Accommodation
So, you want to go to Mallorca with kids? Take a look on the right if you can find a family-friendly accommodation for you. A finca by the sea, holiday apartments or family hotels on Mallorca – we have found some really nice accommodations on Mallorca for you. Alternatively you can search on our map for family-friendly accommodations in Mallorca. And if you have a secret tip for us, it is of course welcome in the comments!