Highlights of the city
Görlitz offers around 4,000 listed and originally preserved buildings. The majority of it has been restored after the turnaround and has been partially restored.
A selection of them and other sights are shown below.
Frauenturm (Fat Tower)
First mentioned in 1305, the Frauenturm still stands in Görlitz and has barely changed its shape over the centuries. Its epithet “Fat Tower” refers to the walls, which have a thickness of over 5 meters in the lower tower area. He has a height of 46 m. He stands at Marienplatz opposite the Hertie department store.
The central square of Görlitz is located on the border between the historic old town and Görlitz city center. It enchants with the main attraction, the so-called “water band”, and is lined with some of the most important and well-known buildings in the Saxon city. You will find more details
This historic square witnessed the first visit of Emperor Wilhelm II (1859-1941) – German Emperor from 1888 to 1918 – to Görlitz in 1893 and was named Leninplatz after 1945. Since 1990 he has been wearing the old name again. The square is surrounded by an impressive fountain and the Holy Trinity Church. You will find more details
In addition to the old town, this district is the second center of Görlitz dar. The district captivates – as the name suggests – v.a. near the Landskronstraße through a beautiful, closed Wilhelminian style development as well as through numerous sights of the city. You will find more details
In the district there are many attractions of Görlitz such as the St. Nicholas Church with the magnificent Nikolaifriedhof or the Nikolaiturm at the exit to the suburb. You will find more details
Special neighborhoods, squares and streets
Only since 1767 is the name “fish market” guaranteed. Here was the herring sale of Görlitz at this time. The current fish market is dominated by simple neoclassical residential and apartment buildings from the Wilhelminian era and two imposing school buildings. One of them was constructed in the late Classicist architectural style. At the fish market, once a year, jazz days are organized in Görlitz.
In addition to the old town, this district is the second center of Görlitz dar. It is composed of former villages, neighborhoods and neighborhoods, some of which can be recognized today only in the street names as, for example, Salomon or Konsulviertel. The district captivates – as the name implies – v.a. near the Landskronstraße through a beautiful, closed Wilhelminian style development as well as through numerous sights of the city.
This district stretches between Peterskirchenberg and the Neisse and has experienced less destruction or alteration in the course of history than other Görlitz districts. In the district there are many attractions of Görlitz such as the St. Nicholas Church with the magnificent Nikolaifriedhof or the Nikolaiturm at the exit to the suburb.
The Demianiplatz dates back to the 15th century and quickly became one of the most important places in the increasingly expanding city of Görlitz. The centrally located square soon served as the hub of inner-city traffic, which it has remained to this day. Today it forms the center of public transport and regional transport links. The most important building on the square is the 1850 to 1851 built theater house.
Hildegard Burjan Square
On the northern edge of the city center, this square, redesigned in 2000, is dominated by its lawns and the large art and play stainless steel hemisphere.
The central square of Görlitz is located on the border between the historic old town and Görlitz city center. It enchants with the main attraction, the so-called “water band”, and is lined with some of the most important and well-known buildings in the Saxon city. These include the Frauenturm ("Thick tower"), the department store Hertie and of course the State Natural History Museum. Today’s place goes back to new and redesigns from the years 2000 and 2001.
This historic square witnessed the first visit of Emperor Wilhelm II (1859-1941) – German Emperor from 1888 to 1918 – to Görlitz in 1893 and was named Leninplatz after 1945. Since 1990 he has been wearing the old name again. The square is surrounded by an impressive fountain and the Holy Trinity Church. On the square is also the Baroque house number 29. From the balcony of this building Napoléon is said to have watched an army show of his troops in 1813, which is why this house is also called Napoléon house.
By the way:
On the Obermarkt many festivals and events are celebrated such as the Old Town Festival and the Christmas market.
Place of the 17th of June
The square of 17 June is a part of the Demianiplatzes and reminds with its name since 2003 to the demonstrations of June 17, 1953, some of which took place in Görlitz. At this place are the Kaisertrutz Rondell, built in 1490 to protect the western city entrance and the Humboldt house, which today houses the lecture hall of the State Museum of Natural History.
The central jewelery square of Görlitz is dominated since 1887 by a Kunstbrunnen, the so-called "clam Minna". Once there were wide accesses to the fountain; these are no longer available. Today, the generous lawn with flower border and the numerous bank niches are the main reason to visit the place. Here is also the post office and courthouse
As the largest town square in Görlitz, Wilhelmsplatz is surrounded by imposing buildings from the Wilhelminian era. It is determined by a large lawn and long beds, which are elaborately and varied planted. Here is also the memorial for the victims of fascism, which was built in 1948. Its name was given to the place called Neumarkt 1871 – in honor of the German Emperor Wilhelm I.
The street, affectionately known as “Eli” since at least 1864, is famous for its remarkable width of 80 meters and the promenade-like strip between the carriageways. Their size also led to the name “Elisabethplatz”. The street is only a little smaller than the Berlin “street under the linden trees” and is, like this, mostly lined with trees. The “Eli” also houses a weekly market and is a popular place for a leisurely stroll along interesting and impressive facades.
This narrow lane leads from the Obermarkt to the Langenstrasse and reminds of a rebellion of the Görlitzer Tuchmacher against the city council, which began in 1527 in this alley. Even today, a side gate at the rear building of the Langenstraße 12 is visible, through which the rebels had sneaked. Above the walled entrance stands the acronym “DVRT”, “The treacherous rotting door”.
The tower from the year 1376 experienced in the course of its history several transformations and was connected until 1848 with the Kaisertrutz. Since 1869 it has a passage for pedestrians. He has a height of 49 m.
Marrakech: Travel and traffic orientation Believe it or not: It is quite possible to walk from the airport to the Medina, but you should not carry too…
Attractions Cities and cultural sites Isfahan The Iranian city of Isfahan is the third largest city in the Islamic Republic of Iran – after Tehran and…
Of smart cities, political filth and image loss from: Thomas Lindemann In October, the Smart City Index , that wants to show how modern and digitized…
Attractions in Krakow – you can discover this in the secret capital of Poland Holidays in Poland | 0 Comments Last update on 08.07.2019 Krakow is rightly…