In Stardew Valley you first have to become friends with the inhabitants so that they can trust you and let you into their houses and rooms. You do this by increasing the number of hearts in the social tab. We’ll show you how to raise hearts and have romance and marriage with an NPC character. For the more comfortable, there’s also a cheat.
In this guide, we explain the social system in Stardew Valley and how you can increase the number of NPCs in your heart until you finally romanticize with marriage and children. You can see below how to solve this by cheat.
Stardew Valley: Raising hearts
In Stardew Valley, the social tab of your menu (heart icon) will show you your relationship status with each character. Each NPC has a series of 10 hearts to fill. Note: If you are married, your treasure will have 12 hearts. Female-female relationships or male-male relationships are both allowed.
You can increase the number of hearts by giving the person a gift, up to a maximum of 2 gifts per week. This is also indicated by the checkboxes on the right with the gift symbol in the social tab. It’s especially worth it if you give the best gifts on an NPC’s birthday:
Stardew Valley: With character romance and marriage enter and have children
You can marry the following characters in Stardew Valley. You can tell by the word Single written in brackets in the social tab:
Info: Our map of Stardew Valley shows where the NPCs live: Stardew Valley: Map and map with inhabitants and places (also Pelican Town).
Once you have reached a certain number of Hearts in a Resident, new cutscenes will gradually be unlocked, which you will see at the next meeting; for Marriageable characters, the number will be at least 5. You will then need to make dialog choices to influence the future behavior of the NPC.
You can get married with your favorite 10 hearts. Then proceed as follows:
- Give your treasure a bouquet of flowers that can be bought in Pierre’s Store.
- Now you have to buy a Mermaid Pendant from the Old Mariner for 5000g. It is located east of Elliott’s hut on the eastern part of the beach when it rains or storms, see: Stardew Valley: Old Mariner – What does he do? How to get the amulet?
Stardew Valley: Having children
To have children, you should be married in Stardew Valley and live together on your farm. You must continue to treat your partner well so that at some point a child will see the light of day. Here’s what you should keep in mind:
- No bad behaviour like lying in bed all day.
- Make sure that the NPC can move freely and does not get stuck on decor objects or similar.
- When you talk to your character, there’s usually a kiss/romance moment every day when he’s happy.
- Don’t give so many presents to other singles anymore. Your partner can get jealous.
How the points system in Stardew Valley works with the hearts is explained below.
Stardew Valley: Increase the number of hearts until romance / marriage (points) – This is how it works
If you want to increase a friend’s Heart count, consider the following points:
- Each heart represents 250 points.
- If you talk to a resident, that’s 20 points.
- If you ignore an inhabitant for one day, 2 points are deducted.
- Every inhabitant has the best and good gifts he likes. The best gift is worth 80 points, a good gift is worth 45 points.
- If you give someone a gift that they don’t like or hate, the number of hearts can drop.
- If you complete a villager’s quest posted to Pierre’s Store, you will receive 150 points for quest submission.
- Important: If you give a best gift on the NPC’s birthday, you will receive 640 points (8 times as much as on an ordinary day).
By the way: The birthday present does not count to the limitation of 2 gifts per week.
In order to reach the maximum number of hearts as quickly as possible, you should always bet on universal best gifts or those that are at least liked. One of the best universal gifts is the best:
- Prismatic Shard: You can find it in the mines during mining.
- Rabbit’s Foot: You will get the item from rabbits you have in your stable as soon as you have upgraded it and the rabbits have reached at least 4 hearts.
- Exception: Haley hates Prismatic Shards and Penny hates Rabbit’s Foot.
Among the universally liked gifts are:
- All Gems (Gemstones)
- All cooked recipes (except standard ingredients like Fried Eggs, Bread, Wheat and Hops)
- All Artisan Goods
|PictureItemWhere to get?coffeeSaloonAppleFruit TreeApricotFruit TreeOrangeFruit TreePeachFruit TreePomegranateFruit TreeCherryFruit TreeMaple SyrupMaple Tree with Tapper|
- Caroline, Jas, Sam and Sebastian don’t like mayonnaise.
- Elliot doesn’t like Limestone and hates poppies.
- Emily doesn’t like pine tar.
- Krobus doesn’t like cooked recipes.
- Leah doesn’t like gems except Diamond.
- Maru doesn’t like Maple syrup.
- Penny doesn’t like Pale Ale and Wine.
- Pierre doesn’t like gems and hates apples.
- Sebastian doesn’t like pale ale and omelets.
- Vincent and Jas don’t like Jelly.
- Vincent and Jas hate coffee and all Artisan Goods.
- Willy doesn’t like salad, sashimi and pizza.
Stardew Valley: How to increase the number of hearts by cheat – Instructions
If you don’t want to make the effort to give presents to the whole villagers, you can also use a cheat to bring the number of hearts to maximum with one stroke:
- Exit Stardew Valley and navigate to your savegames folder as described here: Stardew Valley: Savegames folder & manually save and load – This is how it works at the save location. Note: Save your savegames before making any changes.
- In the Saves folder, open the folder with your character name and then the file containing your character name with a text editor, such as Notepad++.
- Press the key combination Ctrl + F to open the search dialog. Now search for the person whose heart rate you want to change. In our example the penny is. Note: Since the names appear several times in the text file, you’ll probably have to continue searching 1 to 2 times.
- You’ll get to a place that looks like this: Penny 1966 2 0 0 0 0 0
Stardew Valley Guides:
Nintendo Switch: Which is your must-have title?
Whether you’re playing on the go, on the couch at home, alone or against other players, the Switch is the console for you. And until the end of the year, the Switch will also be getting lots of games. Tell us, what is your must-have title for Nintendo Switch?