Hamburg has many cafés & bistros to offer. But which ones are really suitable for children and so furnished that the kids can play and our heads don’t explode with all the noise? Where can you find high chairs and changing tables – and where are WE welcome at all?
We have started a small survey and here are the ten favorites.
Mrs Larsson/ Peter-Marquard-Straße 13/ www.fraularsson.de
2. the children’s café in Ottensen The name says it all the children’s café is a nice place for parents with children up to approx. 5 years of age. There is a separate playroom with a pirate ship (!) You will find enough highchairs, a nappy-changing area and even a bottle warmer. For the minis there is a separate children’s menu with dishes such as boiled potatoes with quark and pasta or homemade baby porridge. The mothers are served a delicious breakfast in the morning, a few dishes of the day are served at lunchtime and you can enjoy cakes and waffles in the afternoon.
3rd Elbgold in the SchanzeMaybe the best coffee in the Hanseatic city! Anyone travelling in Winterhude am Mühlenkamp and Eppendorf should definitely take a coffee to go for a walk around the Alster. In the Schanze, the Elbgold has a spacious and cosy coffee bar, where you can also go with your minis. There is no play corner, but in the interior there is a comfortable sofa corner with carpet and enough space for prams. Changing table and high chairs are also available.
Elbgold/ Lagerstraße 34c/ Tel.: 040/23517520/ www.elbgold.com
4. Balzac Coffee in Eppendorf (Eppendorfer Landstraße 100)If you are just on a shopping tour in Eppendorf and if you are thirsty for coffee, you should make a detour to the new Balzac Coffee at the Eppendorfer Landstraße 100 – not to be confused with the Balzac at the Eppendorfer tree Here you will find a very spacious and bright place with a lot of space to park your pram. There is a very affectionately and generously equipped play corner with Bobby Car, various motoric toys and many boxes with further toys. There is a changing table to fold down in the ladies’ WC – there are also plenty of high chairs.
Balzac Coffee/ Eppendorfer Landstraße 100/www.balzaccoffee.com
5th Campus Suite in Eppendorf (Eppendorfer Landstraße 102) A change from the aforementioned Balzac Coffee in Eppendorf can be found at the entrance to the building – the Campus Suite. The furnishings are bright and cosy and invite you to linger. The food is really delicious, inexpensive and varied. The freshly squeezed juices and freshly baked waffles are particularly good. Jummy! For the minis there is a “small café” with a table, stools and children’s chairs as well as a few books and two screens for reading and playing. High chairs and changing table are also available. If you come in the afternoon, it is better to park your pram outside, as it is often full inside. In the morning you shouldn’t have any space problems.
Campus Suite/ Eppendorfer Landstraße 102/ www.campussuite.de
TEMMA/ Eppendorfer Landstraße 77 / Marie-Jonas-Platz/ www.temma.de
7. mama trattoriaThe Trattoria “mama” can be found a total of five times in Hamburg. The first one is in Hamburg city centre only a few meters away from the Rathausmarkt and Mönckebergstraße. The second is on Mittelweg not far from the Alster. The third is in Gertigstraße between Mühlenkamp and Kampnagel. The fourth Trattoria “mama” is located in the middle of Eppendorf. In the heart of Blankenese near the market and the church is the fifth and last trattoria “mama”. The restaurants each offer over 200 square meters of seating for around 120, so that there is also enough space for prams. Each restaurant has enough high chairs and a well-equipped changing table with diapers and creams.
8. pantry in Eimsbüttel A dream in the middle of Eimsbüttel, because the little ones can disappear in the play corner The pantry extends over two levels, which are very bright and nicely furnished. The play corner, which is a separate room adjoining the upper seating area, offers the minis a small table and chairs, many books, Lego and much more. If you like, there is even a seat right in the playroom. A changing table is also available. Unfortunately, there is no space for prams inside – they have to be parked outside. The menu offers a large selection of different breakfast combinations. There are also tarte flambée, filled baguettes and homemade cakes in the afternoon.
9. Adele & Clodwig in Ottensen A real gem in the Bahrenfelder Straße… Here you will find everything a furnishing and delicatessen heart desires: a cosy café in the front room, behind it several rooms full of beautiful, original and delicious >For the little ones there is an extra corner in front for painting and playing with many books and toys. High chairs, seesaws and blankets as well as a changing room are available. At Adele & Clodwig there are homemade cakes for the grown-ups and baby food glasses and crisps for the little ones. In summer you can sit outside in the courtyard. For baby carriages there are about four seats inside and another outside in front of the window. Castles can even be rented in the café.
Furthermore there is every Wednesday mommy-baby meeting with Maike. Maike is a children’s nurse, breastfeeding consultant and mother of a three-year-old daughter herself. She answers questions about breastfeeding, baby care and gives tips for sick children as well as about sleeping. You can also chat with other mothers over a delicious hot drink and exchange experiences.