With our application-focused Bachelor’s program in child and adolescent psychology at DHGS, we offer you exciting insights into psychology and its application in children and adolescents. You will learn skills on topics such as Clinical psychology, organizational psychology, health psychology or counseling psychology. In the application-focused course, the application examples and practical projects from the field of child and adolescent psychology are chosen. You study in a study group in which everyone chooses the same specialization.
With the application-focused course in child and adolescent psychology, you develop your personal competences in psychology holistically and become a sought-after specialist on the job market (e.g. companies, institutions in the health sector and educational institutions that work with children and adolescents)..
You study child and adolescent psychology at the DHGS German University for Health and Sport without NC limitation in our mix of classroom and distance learning – ideal for a part-time course! Our application-focused course in child and adolescent psychology is an undergraduate psychology bachelor’s degree fully recognized by the Professional Association of German Psychologists (BDP) – Another clear advantage for your career start and your personal development!
You can study our application-oriented bachelor’s degree at the campus in Berlin, Unna (NRW) and in Munich / Ismaning.
Secure your place of study now!
Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.)
Start in the winter and summer semester
Elias plum tree
Table of Contents
Brief profile of the application-focused course in child and adolescent psychology (Bachelor of Science)
|The course at a glance|
|Study program:||Child and adolescent psychology (application focus of the Applied Psychology course)|
|Academic degree:||Bachelor of Science|
|Duration of study:||7 semesters full-time|
|European Credit Transfer:||210 ECTS points|
|Study models:||Full-time, part-time, part-time, dual studies|
|Study Design:||Semi-virtual (virtual distance learning with presence phases)|
|Study places:||Berlin, Bavaria (Ismaning near Munich), NRW (Unna near Dortmund)|
|Seal of quality:||State recognition, institutionally accredited by the Science Council, system accreditation by FIBAA, recognized by the professional association German Psychologists|
|Postgraduate course:||Master of Applied Psychology|
|tuition fee||495 euros per month or 435 euros per month with our financing model|
Why study at the German University of Health and Sport??
Distance learning and classroom study in one!
- Our innovative semi-virtual study concept combines the freedom of a distance learning with the contact options of a face-to-face study.
Highly flexible – ideal for working people!
- Take the opportunity to gain professional experience through a dual or part-time course and secure a competitive advantage on the job market!
State recognized and accredited!
- Our degrees meet the highest quality standards. We are at the same high level as state universities.
Strong practical focus for increased competence to act!
- The most up-to-date learning content is conveyed in an optimal mix of theory and practice.
Real industry experts as lecturers!
- Highly qualified, practical lecturers including hands-on workshops in small learning groups.
Testimonials and graduate opinions
“I really enjoy studying at the university. I am also very happy that I had the opportunity to spend a semester abroad in Istanbul! ”
Study flexibly: child and adolescent psychology as a part-time course
The semi-virtual study model of the DHGS is a combination of online-based distance learning and classroom study. We rely entirely on the effectiveness of the proven blended learning concept. Multi-sensor technology and variety create particularly sustainable learning effects for the students.
This gives you the following advantages:
- gain work experience: Use the high flexibility and study part-time or start a dual course with us (also possible as part-time study)!
- Efficient online study: Study comfortably on our e-learning platform and use multimedia-based learning content for optimal learning progress!
- Interactive face-to-face workshop: Benefit from 15 days attendance seminars and learn from real industry experts from practice!
- Increased competence to act: Improve your practical skills through a variety of practical case studies.
Here you can get more information about Distance learning with classroom seminars.
What is child and adolescent psychology about??
Child and adolescent psychology is an area of application for psychology, the science of experiencing and behaving in people. Child and adolescent psychology is particularly concerned with the development and behavior of adolescents. Especially in the growing up phase, a number of people’s psychological factors change – child and adolescent psychology looks at them and not only has an eye for mental illnesses or impairments, but also deals with the development of development opportunities from toddlers to young people adults.
Psychology is an interdisciplinary empirical science that uses theories and models of the humanities, social and natural sciences. This diverse profile makes psychology unique and particularly exciting.
The application-focused course in child and adolescent psychology places a special focus on the application of psychological theories and techniques in practice. This is a major difference in applied psychology compared to a more theory-oriented study of psychology.
You can examine particularly important areas of applied psychology in the following drop-down element:
Areas of applied psychology
- Work and organizational psychology: Work and organizational psychology describes and explains the experience and behavior of people in organizations. Psychological issues are particularly important here for organizations such as schools and kindergartens. Typical questions in organizational psychology deal with personnel selection, employee motivation and development, psychologically stressful working conditions, leadership style, the working atmosphere or change processes in organizations.
- Health Psychology: Health psychology focuses on the research and development of measures to maintain health, promote health and prevent physical illnesses and mental disorders. In this context, therapy concepts are tailored to the individual suffering and needs of people. Questions of child and adolescent psychology are particularly important here, since specific concepts for prevention and healing are often necessary for this group of people.
- Clinical psychology:Clinical psychology deals with the diagnosis and treatment of mental illnesses such as depression, anxiety disorders, manias, personality disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorders or schizophrenia. In addition to therapeutic procedures, psychotropic drugs are also used. One focus will be on psychological disorders in children and adolescents.
- educational Psychology: Educational psychology deals with all psychological aspects relating to education, training and social coexistence. The knowledge gained is used to optimize educational approaches, didactic concepts and considerate, yet targeted, dealings with other people.
- Forensic Psychology: Legal psychology is made up of forensic psychology and criminal psychology. Forensics is about creating psychological reports for criminals suffering from a psychiatric disorder. By contrast, crime psychology has its core in crime prevention and the therapeutic treatment of criminals.
Structure and learning content in the Bachelor of Child and Adolescent Psychology
The application-focused bachelor’s program in child and adolescent psychology comprises 7 exciting semesters. The course has a total of 210 ECTS points. In the fifth semester you will complete a practical semester.
The basic psychological content is taught for 6 semesters, with the first to fourth semesters conveying the basics of the subject. The fifth semester is a practical semester. However, the practical semester can be recognized if you study part-time and already have the necessary psychological practical experience while studying. In the sixth and seventh semester, you choose the focus modules from the field of child and adolescent psychology and develop your personal profile. You gain a deeper insight into the field of application of child and adolescent psychology. This will increase your expertise for starting your professional life.
- Introduction to psychology and child and adolescent psychology
- Statistics I: Descriptive statistics and probability theory
- Statistics II: Inference statistics
- research methods
- Journal Club on current research topics in child and adolescent psychology
- Bachelor thesis in the field of child and adolescent psychology
- Empirical project seminar on child and adolescent psychology
Diagnostics and diagnostic procedures
- Basics of diagnostics and test theory
- Applied diagnostics
- Psychological advice
Basics of intra- and interpersonal processes
- developmental Psychology
- Differential and personality psychology
- social Psychology
Cognitive and biological foundations of behavior and experience
- General Psychology I
- General Psychology II
- Biological psychology
Application subjects: basic modules
- educational Psychology
- Basics of clinical psychology
- Health Psychology
- Work, operational and organizational psychology
Clinical Psychology application: advanced modules
- Disorders of clinical psychology
- Therapeutic interventions
Practice and key skills
- Practical semester in the field of child and adolescent psychology
- Technical English
- Communication skills for child and adolescent psychology
- Applied relaxation techniques
Specialization: child and adolescent psychology
- Basics of clinical child and adolescent psychology
- Practical fields of child and adolescent psychology
- Complementary subject (e.g. basics of counseling and coaching)
Study locations: Where can I study child and adolescent psychology??
You can study the semi-virtual degree programs of the DHGS German University of Health and Sport at three locations. You can start studying child and adolescent psychology in Berlin, Ismaning or Unna.
Our main location is close to the center in Berlin with a view of the Berlin TV tower. You can expect modern e-learning technologies, a spacious campus garden and much more! We also operate a modern location in Munich Ismaning in a convenient location. You will find the Munich campus not far from the Franz-Josef-Strauß airport and the Munich Ostbahnhof. A special ambience awaits you on Campus Unna in NRW! The university shares the campus with a hotel and benefits from the excellent service and the large campus in the middle of the green.
And this is how you find us!
- Address campus Berlin: Vulkanstrasse 1, 10367 Berlin
- Address Campus Munich Ismaning: Steinheilstrasse 4, 85737 Ismaning
- Address campus Unna: Heinrich-Werner-Platz 1, 59427 Unna
Target group and personal requirements
The application-oriented Bachelor of Child and Adolescent Psychology is aimed, for example, at high school graduates. In addition, with the course in child and adolescent psychology, we also target people with training in the health sector because you can study at Berlin’s universities of applied sciences without a high school diploma. These include, for example, psychological counselors, coaches & Trainer, nursing staff, health care- & Social managers, social workers and others.
The personal requirements for a successful career in psychology include:
- Communication skills
- Mental resilience
- people skills
- Don’t be afraid of human closeness
- Ability to listen
- Interest in other people’s problems
- Interest in statistics
Your degree in psychology is recognized and accredited by the state
The DHGS German University of Health and Sport was awarded institutional accreditation by the Science Council due to the high quality of the degree. The university has thus proven that it can achieve research and teaching achievements that meet recognized scientific standards.
The university also received the system accreditation from FIBAA (Foundation for International Business Administration Accreditation). The DHGS quality management system was thus awarded the official seal of approval by the German Accreditation Council. The university teaching and the quality of the degrees are at the highest level and at the same level of a state university.
The DHGS psychology courses are also recognized as basic psychology courses by the Professional Association of German Psychologists (BDP).
Our cooperation partners for the application-focused Bachelor of Child and Adolescent Psychology (B.Sc.)
During your studies, you particularly benefit from practical case studies from the health and business sectors. We were able to gain exciting cooperation partners for this purpose. Our partners in psychology include, for example, the Federal Ministry of Health, the Malteser Relief Service, the Niederlausitz Clinic and the Queen Elisabeth Herzberge Hospital (both with psychiatric departments).
In addition, we can also offer you exclusive job offers through our partners, e.g. Offer working student places!
Your career opportunities after the Bachelor of Child and Adolescent Psychology
With a Bachelor’s degree from the DHGS German University of Health and Sport, you have a wide range of professional fields and areas of activity. The health sector in particular is a growth sector with an increasing need for academically qualified employees who have completed a dedicated, practice-oriented training. On the one hand, you can take on responsible tasks as a company employee or, on the other hand, you can strive for independence. Training, coaching and advice are particularly suitable for the latter.
If you are interested in training towards psychotherapy or therapist training, please inform yourself under therapy training.
Potential employers for psychology graduates with a focus on child and adolescent psychology
- Consulting companies: e.g. as a coach or consultant on issues related to working with children and young people.
- Marketing company: e.g. in advice on designing advertising measures for young target groups
- Education companies: e.g. as a coach and trainer on the subject of youth protection
- International industrial companies: e.g. as an employee in personnel development.
- Psychiatric clinics and hospitals: e.g. as a psychological assistant for crisis intervention.
- Aid organizations: e.g. as a psychological counselor in schools.
- Independence in your own practice: e.g. as a family therapist or sex therapist.
You can take on these tasks after completing your Bachelor of Addiction Psychology
University graduates with application-related psychological training, such as is offered at the German University of Health and Sport, can be used universally and are interesting for many companies. DHGS graduates take on the following tasks, for example:
- Company healthcare: Advising management and staff on addiction prevention with the aim of reducing sick days.
- Human Resource: e.g. Health prevention, advice, personnel selection and personnel development.
- Corporate Development: e.g. Design of change management processes taking into account health effects and age-related requirements for the workforce.
- Marketing: e.g. sensitive development of advertising psychological measures for products and services for the target group children and adolescents.
- Journalism: e.g. Writing specialist articles on health issues about children and adolescents for medical websites.
- Research: e.g. Empirical research on the causes of clinical disorders.
- Sports Psychology: Psychological support from young professional athletes to maintain their performance.
- Psychological counseling: e.g. Advice on mental disorders such as bournout, ADHD or personality disorders.
- Business coaching: e.g. Career planning for talented young professionals.
- Education: e.g. Implementation of company training in the field of child and adolescent psychology.
Your career prospects after your bachelor’s degree in intercultural psychology
Since the psychology factor plays a central role in all areas of life, future-proof training can be assumed. Furthermore, you qualify for the admission to the master’s program in applied psychology at the DHGS or a master’s degree in psychology at another university or university.
Admission requirements for child and adolescent psychology Bachelor of Science
The application-focused course in child and adolescent psychology (Bachelor of Science) is not subject to admission restrictions. You can do child and adolescent psychology without NC (without numerus clausus) to study. At the DHGS German University of Health and Sport you get a study place guarantee! Apart from that, university access to our facility is also open to people without a high school diploma with relevant professional experience. If you have any further questions, please contact our competent student advisory service.
Advantageous: After a successful Bachelor’s degree as a student of the DHGS, you have very good chances of a place in postgraduate Master of Science in Applied Psychology.
Postgraduate master’s program for psychology students
The DHGS offers you an excellent opportunity to complete a master’s degree in applied psychology directly after completing your bachelor’s degree. The master can be studied easily without an NC. A bachelor’s degree at DHGS enables you to start a master’s degree at other colleges and universities.
In the consecutive master’s course in applied psychology, you deepen your competencies in areas such as clinical psychology or counseling psychology. With the acquired expert knowledge, you can improve your career opportunities even more.
Tuition fees and credits for achievements
The tuition fees at our private university amount to 495 euros per month. As a rule, you can pay the full cost of the degree from the tax drop! In the case of dual studies, tuition fees are often borne by the employer.
Studying part-time is the best way to finance your psychology studies anyway. If you work alongside your studies, you can immediately apply what you have learned to your company and earn money!
Have you already studied at another college or university but haven’t finished your studies? Then you can have course achievements already credited if necessary. This way you save cash and shorten your studies!
For many men, the thought is unbearable: spend the evening on New Year’s Eve alone, without friends, while other people happily into the new…
Unemployed after graduation? After years of hard work for exams and attending numerous lectures and seminars, you should think that you are good…
Take a quick shower before rushing to bed at the hotel to get ready for your beach trip. With a holiday home by the lake…
Questions Answers – Work Travel: Go on a big trip with a small wallet! 1. Why should I do work travel? At Work Travel you can join…