Spotted an Error?
The year 2020 has a number of changes and new laws in store for parents and families: the child tax allowance is increasing, as is the right to maintenance. In daycare centers and schools need children prove the measles vaccination – otherwise the right to a place expires. Students can look forward to more Bafög grants. FOCUS Online offers an overview of what is now important for mothers and fathers.
1. From January: This changes with child benefit, child supplement and child allowance
- Child support: As of January 1, 2020, the subsistence minimum will be adjusted upwards. In the course of this, the maintenance advance also increases. Depending on the age of the child, this then amounts to 165 euros, 220 euros or 293 euros.
- Children supplement: With the child supplement, working parents can receive additional financial support if their income is not sufficient to ensure the maintenance of their children. As of January 1, 2020, the upper income limits for child allowances are to be dropped. The aim is to expand the circle of families who are entitled to the child supplement. From this point in time, only 45 percent of the parents’ income, which goes beyond their own needs, is now counted towards the child supplement, instead of 50 percent today.
- Child tax credit: In addition to child benefit, parents are also entitled to an allowance in their tax return, which will be increased further in 2020. From January 1, 2020 it increases by 192 euros per child to 5172 euros for parents assessed together, otherwise to 2486 euros per parent. In addition, there is an allowance for childcare, education or training needs. This is 2640 euros. The two tax-free allowances are added together to determine income tax.
FOCUS Online provides you with the most exciting reports from the field of parents. Here you can subscribe to the newsletter.
2. Separation children will receive more support from January 2020
From January 1, 2020, the new "Dusseldorf table" in force. After that there is for minor Children of separated parents have more maintenance. The rates in the lowest income group increase by 15 to 21 euros per month.
This is how much separation children get in detail:
- Children will receive at least 369 euros (instead of 354 euros previously) from 2020 and at least 378 euros per month from 2021 under six years.
- Children between six and eleven years will be entitled to 424 euros in the future (instead of 406 euros previously) or 434 euros from 2021.
- For children from twelve to 17 years the minimum monthly maintenance is 497 euros from 2020 (an increase of 21 euros) and 508 euros from 2021.
The rates for children of legal age of age rise only slightly: from 527 to 530 euros in the lowest income group. The requirement rates for adult children remained completely unchanged in 2018 and 2019. The rate of demand for students who do not live with their parents, on the other hand, increases significantly from 735 to 860 euros.
The deductible for parents will also increase from 2020
For the first time since 2015, the so-called deductible due to the maintenance debtor is also changing. The deductible for non-employed maintenance persons increases from 880 to 960 euros, that of employed persons from 1080 to 1160 euros – based on a warm rent of 430 euros. The deductible can be increased if the housing costs exceed this amount and are not inappropriate. The deductible for maintenance claims from parents increases from previously 1,800 euros to 2,000 euros.
3. Measles vaccination will come in March 2020
Parents must then prove that their children have been vaccinated before admission. For children who already go to daycare or school, there is an extended deadline until July 31, 2021. Violators can be fined up to 2500 euros.
Parents can prove that their children have been vaccinated either with a vaccination card, a yellow examination booklet or with a medical certificate if the child has already had measles. If this does not happen, the facilities must report this to the health department. This decides how to proceed and can impose fines.
More about measles vaccination:
Jens Spahn wants to prescribe measles vaccination by law. One can argue against a mandatory regulation. Scientifically, everything speaks for measles vaccination. The 6 most important reasons.
From 2020, vaccination against measles will be mandatory. A decision that is less controversial among parents than expected. At least this is shown by a recent pronova BKK survey, which is exclusively available from FOCUS Online.
Exciting, but no time right now?
Without proof of vaccination – no kindergarten place
Day care centers may no longer accept unvaccinated children. The institutions can also be fined if they do not follow the instructions.
The obligation to vaccinate should also apply to teachers and educators. Just like for personnel in medical facilities such as hospitals, from doctors to nurses to kitchen and cleaning staff. Measles vaccinations are also mandatory for residents and employees in asylum accommodation.
The general rule: Proof of vaccination becomes mandatory, it is not a matter of forced vaccinations against the will of those affected. Exceptions are also set, for example for people who cannot be vaccinated for health reasons. Also for those born before 1971 who are likely to be largely immune because they have most likely already had measles.
4. Daycare fees in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania abolished
Due to the good day care law, many federal states reduce the posts for the daycare centers. Childcare in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern is free of charge from January 1st. In Berlin they are completely abolished.
Children from one year of age have a legal right to childcare in Germany. But how can I get a place for my child as quickly as a parent and what happens if the daycare refuses my application? The most important questions and answers from parents.
5. Children no longer have to pay for caring for their parents – if they earn less than 100,000 euros
The children of those in need of care should in future be exempted from the costs of the nursing home in most cases. According to a law passed by the Bundestag in November, daughters and sons of those affected only have to contribute financially to caring for their parents from an annual gross income of EUR 100,000.
If people in need of care cannot pay the home costs, the social welfare office initially jumps with the "Care help" on. The authorities then often ask the children to checkout to get part of the costs back. Often, however, the authorities shy away from such demands because complex procedures and income checks are necessary.
It is difficult to say how many people will share in the costs. There are no current meaningful statistics. The draft law speaks of around 55,000 people. Around 300,000 residents live in social welfare because pension, long-term care insurance and their own assets are not enough.
6. There is more money for students in the 2020/2021 winter semester
This change will not only please Bafög recipients, but also many parents who support their student children. The new increase in the tax-free allowance, lump sum for basic needs and maximum funding is part of the Bafög new regulation, which brought more money for students and schoolchildren in 2019.
In 2020, the individual increases will be relatively small. In the fall of 2021 there will be noticeably more money from the state. With the changes, 100,000 more schoolchildren and students are to benefit from the state funding for education.
Read more parenting guides:
Talking to children is not that easy, because they often shut themselves off from parents’ questions. This is often due to the way parents communicate. A child psychotherapist reveals how you get access to your children’s emotional world – and which questions you really use to get to know them.
For brain researcher Gerald Hüther, one thing is certain: to be happy, a child must feel that it is loved for its own sake. If this is not the case, the whole nature of the child changes. He defines the formula for happy growing up.
The issue of child benefit can quickly lead to disputes between the child, parents and the family fund. Especially when the offspring is of legal age. Because then…
The federal government has decided to increase child benefit. Good news for all families with children in Germany. On time for July 1st…
EU foreigners are also entitled to child benefit in the event of unemployment. The ruling of the European Court of Justice will also debate the…
Child allowance, child allowance and allowance families receive more money from the state basic allowance, child allowance, child allowance and child allowance…