From how many years can you do a vacation job?
We explain to you how from when you can top up your pocket money.
Sina had the following question: "I would like to do a vacation job during the holidays, but I am only twelve years old and would therefore like to know whether I can do a vacation job and where or what."
What is allowed?
When you can start earning some pocket money, the Youth Work Protection Act (JuArbSchG) regulates and that says that in principle no one is allowed to work who is younger than 13 years.
- From13 years light work is allowed, e.g. Deliver newspapers, give tutoring classes or take dogs for a walk. These paid activities may only be carried out between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. and only with the consent of a legal guardian. In addition, working hours must not exceed two hours a day (three hours in family farms).
- youth from 15 years Can work up to four weeks full-time (approx. 35 to 40 hours a week) on vacation. You can also work in a trade (at the bakery, florist or similar).
- First from 18 years chord and night work and work in a disco, amusement parks or at the fair are allowed.
In principle, all jobs for children and young people must be easy and must not endanger their safety, development and health. As long as the child is still required to attend school, they are allowed to attend school and "their ability to follow lessons with benefit" do not affect negatively.
In the Youth Labor Protection Act (JArbSchG), exceptions are formulated in §6 that make it possible for children under the age of 13, e.g. to work as a model (or in the theater, film, etc.). Children who are older than 3 years are allowed to do limited light work under the following conditions:
- the employer (the person who offers the job) must submit an application to a supervisory authority to employ a child
- the parents have to agree and (mostly) be present
- a medical certificate must be available (the doctor must ensure that the work is not harmful to the child)
- the school must certify in writing that no restrictions are expected for the child
- the youth welfare office has to check that the child’s work is OK
If these requirements are met, the child may still only work for a certain period of time:
For theater rehearsals:
- Children over 6 years: up to four hours a day between 10:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m.
For film and photo recordings / music performances / advertising events
- Children between three and six years: max. 2 hours a day from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Children over six years: max. 3 hours a day from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
A brochure from the Hessian Ministry of Labor, Family and Health can be found here.
If you have any personal questions about vacation jobs, please feel free to send us an email using the contact form.
Dear adult readers,
this is a site especially for children. We therefore ask you to refrain from comments and questions.
Thank you, the kindersache team
Weekend vacation with child, vacation in carinthia austria
Weekend vacation with a child – maximum relaxation in a short time Relax with your child for a weekend vacation and switch off together Do you just want…
Single with child travel book a holiday What is the best way to spend your vacation as a single with a child? How can a relaxing holiday succeed for both…
Germany’s largest doctor-patient portal From when to the (children’s) dentist? Regular visits to the dentist are particularly important for your child -…
Holidays with children and dogs in the beautiful south of Austria Carinthia: The southernmost state of Austria offers ideal conditions for a relaxing…