What can you do with a Tourism Management degree?
What does it mean to do so? People who are outdoors or indoors, have a fixed or flexible schedule and may work all-year-round or seasonally. This makes tourism a diverse and offbeat career path.
There are a variety of jobs in the tourism industry you can take a master’s degree in tourism management so let’s take a look at this blog to find out more.
How to start your career in the tourism industry?
Nowadays, people are interested to join the tourism industry for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Variety of career opportunities available with attractive salary packages
- It is one of the largest industries in the world with a contribution of approximately seven trillion euros to the global economy in 2017
- The tourism industry is open to constant innovation as well as sharing interesting ideas
- Quicker advancement opportunities
- Skills obtained while working in this industry are transferable and can be implemented in multiple sectors
One of the most popular methods of joining this industry is to complete a tourism course. A tourism degree wants to provide students with in-depth knowledge related to essential concepts, how concepts are applied to the tourism industry, solving problems and taking decisions in the tourism industry.
- Tourism and Hospitality Business Strategy
- Strategic Approach to Marketing Planning for Hospitality and Tourism
- Entrepreneurship in Tourism
- Business Decision-making for Hospitality and Tourism
In the following section, you can apply for a variety of careers in tourism.
Top career options after earning a tourism management degree
Tour managers are responsible for ensuring that travelers have a smooth holiday. Hitchhiking. In case they have in-depth knowledge about the area the travelers are visiting, tour managers may even act as tour guides. Tour managers have more responsibilities:
- Planning the entire tour for the travelers
- Check the travelers’ documents to ensure everything is in order
- Provide information to the travelers vis-à-vis itineraries, places to visit and culture of the place they are visiting
- Ensure smooth entry to tourist attractions
- Help the travelers to check-in into their accommodations
- Handle any form of emergencies that may arise
- Prepare reports and maintain travelers’ records
Travel Agency Manager
Travel agency executives that promote and travel packages. Travel agencies can start or even multinational corporations. Travel agencies may specialize in travel products, knowledge of exotic locations, business travel, cultural travel, etc. While working as a travel agency manager, it is critical for you to provide customers with customized services bookings. Travel agency managers have a variety of responsibilities. Let’s take a look at some of them:
- Market and promote the agency
- Maintain financial records and ensure the budget is not exceeded
- Sell holiday packages and travel products
- Implement innovative ideas for business growth
- Coordinate with travel partners to provide travelers with a seamless experience
- Ensure the business is running efficiently without any problems
A hotel manager is in charge of the day-to-day handling of a hotel and its staff. Hotel managers are also accountable for planning, ordering and directing hotel services such as food and beverage operations, concierge, reservations and housekeeping, as well as carrying out operations related to financial management and budgeting. Hotel managers usually have a lot of responsibilities:
- Marketing campaigns to promote the hotel and its services
- Hiring, training and observing the staff
- Determining and achieving goals related to sales and profit
- Analyzing sales figures and preparing sales strategies according to the figures
- Overseeing furnishings, renovations, maintenance and supplies
- Preparing work schedules for individuals and the various departments
Event managers conceptualise, prepare and organize social, promotional and professional events like conferences, weddings, birthdays, exhibitions and seminars. They are in charge of managing the entire process, right from the planning phase to the post-event assessment. This is a hands-on job role. Event managers have a myriad of responsibilities that include:
- Interacting with clients to understand their requirements and expectations
- Create in-depth plans with regards to venue, staffing, budget, suppliers etc.
- Coordinate with the marketing and sales teams to promote the event
- Effectively managing the team and ensuring they carry out their tasks
- Ensuring the rules and regulations related to safety, insurance and legal are followed
- Arranging car-parking, hospitality, first-aid, security and hospitality facilities for the event
Public Relations (PR) Manager
A job in PR is all about managing your client’s reputation, as well as influencing behavior and opinions. PR managers use a variety of communication methods to shape, preserve and manage the reputation of their clients. The clients could be celebrities, governmental organizations, not for profit organizations and businesses. PR managers have the following job responsibilities:
- Developing and executing PR strategies
- Drafting press releases that will be published in the media
- Arranging events like press tours, exhibitions and press conferences
- Updating the correct information on social media platforms and interacting with the public on behalf of their clients
- Efficiently managing PR during crisis situations
If you have an outgoing and friendly personality, and you would like to think about taking the MA in International Tourism, Hospitality and Event Management offered by the Berlin School of Business and Innovation (BSBI).
What can you do with a Business Degree? Obtaining a business degree equips students with the skills that are always in demand at the workplace . Business…
MBA study tourism / tourism management The tourism industry is your preferred career environment? With a tourism MBA you prepare yourself purposefully…
MBA degree marketing Marketing – no company gets by permanently without. If you want to acquire further qualifications for the marketing management…
Blogs from Cologne – where se > Heike Kaufhold on May 16, 2013/72 comments Cologne Format is a blog from Cologne in which it turns more and more often…